Good Cheesy Eighties Single - 78%

cronosmantas, November 7th, 2005

If you liked Mantas's album Winds of Change, then you will also like this now rare single from it. From the cover itself, which portrays a women with high hair and in eighties retro style clothes, you know exactly what your in for.

The first track is of course the single Deceiver which was featured on the album Winds of Change. It is actually probably the albums cheesiest track with an outrageous keyboard intro/riff and lyrics to match. "....ooouuuu the bitch in heat" - yes, that are some lyrics of the song. Even though it is goofy, its fun eighty's style metal. I also, if you have the resources, recommend viewing the hilarious music video which featured future venom vocalist Tony "Demolition Man" Dolan on bass. He would also play bass on Mantas's 2004 album Zero Tolerance

This single also contains 2 non-album tracks as well. The first non album track is titled I'm on Fire. This is actually quite a good song and it should have easily been on the album Winds of Change. That album actually has 3 instrumentals on it and for only having 8 tracks, it’s far too many. This song could have taken the place of one of the weaker instrumentals.

The second track is Green Manalishi, which is a cover of the Judas Priest song The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown) which in turn was a cover of a Fleetwood Mac song. I didn't find it surprising that Jeff "Mantas" Dunn decided to do a Priest song as he as mentioned numerous times that Priest was his major influence, but I wonder if he knew that it was originally a Mac song. Hmm....anyhow it’s actually quit an interesting, even humorous, cover as it contains A LOT of added keyboards.

Sadly this single was only issued on vinyl, never on the Compact Disc format. However, the songs did get released on CD in the compilation "The Neat Singles Collection Volume Three" for those of you that need to have the songs. They really should re-issue Winds of Change with these songs added on as bonuses. I doubt it will happen though as Jeff "Mantas" Dunn just reformed his solo group and his first album would hurt his bands new "tough" image and industrialized thrash sound.