The Triumph of Manowar! - 94%

elfo19, April 5th, 2008

As, most of us, know this album contains a song that is 29 minutes long. "Achilles, Agony, and Ecstasy In Eight Parts" does dominate the album. The song is, as the title states, in eight parts, and it chronicles the battle between Hector and Achilles. The song itself, is very jazz inspired. That doesn't mean it has a horn section, but the structure of the song is similar, with each member having their own extended solo. The drum solo in particular is very good, displaying an arc, where it builds and builds to fierceness.

So, what about the rest of the album? You may be surprised to hear that there are 8 songs on the album. "Achilles...", and seven others, and two of them are almost eight minutes long. This is a long disc, yet it is entertaining throughout, a flaw we find in many similar lengthed albums.

We, have Manowar as we all know them on this album, with massive riffs, signature vocals, and...everything else. The album is structured very well. However, there is one thing that annoys me. Almost every song begins with a narration. "Spirit Horse Of The Cherokee" doesn't start until a minute and a half into the song. We have to endure a minute and a half of two people talking at once, making it even worse than a normal narration because we can't even hear what they're saying, before we get to the actual song. The song itself is very good though with some plodding riffs and drum beats and the chorus is one of the best on the album.

The narrations really fill the album with a lot of crap, since almost every song has a minute of it. None the less, this is a great little disc and I'd like to begin on an high note by praising Manowar's sense of humor. In the Cd booklet they write, "Suffer and die slowly listening to our music." You know when a band writes something along the lines that they suck, they're good. Look at Primus, whose slogan for the longest time was "Primus sucks.", accompanied by fans chanting it at concerts. The sense of humor just makes me relate with Manowar better.

To conclude, this is a great album, with no weak tracks, and consistent throughout it's long run time. Manowar fans should embrace this album, even if they did not like it before, for it is a great display of Manowar just being an amazing band. I conclude.