Manowar's weakest release - 78%

Doom__Bubba, August 22nd, 2004

can't exactly put my finger on it, but something in this album just doesn't work. I'm not sure what they did wrong, there's some sollid drumming here, good bass riffage, nice soloing, and Eric delivers some of his greatest screams... I think that's why I don't like this album; it all combines into that great Manowar sound - it IS Manowar - but something about the songwriting doesn't fit. All in all it's a decent album, but it's nothing compared to some of Manowar's other releases.

It opens with the title track, whish is a nice rockin' song, but there's nothing really special about it. It's just there and you hear it when you get there. The same more or less goes to the second song, Blow Your Speakers. I guess what saves this song is Eric's superb screaming, but it's still nothing very noticeable. Carry On is perhaps one of the finest points in the album, and it has a bit more of a point in it's existence, what with the build-up and relative variety in the song'd progress. Next comes a good speedy song, one of the tracks in the album. It is more powerful than Fighting The World and has the fastest pace in the album. Defender is the next song, which is actually quite an interesting track in which Eric sings alongside Orson Wells in the chorus, and it is a done well, just not very well.The next song, Drums of Doom, is just a small intro to Holy War, which doesn't really need any intro.It's a decent song with nice vocals, but still nothing special. Then comes Master of Revenge, which I don't think really justifies it's existence. Not much to say about this one. Then the final track lifts things up a little bit, and when Eric screams the final verse it really is quite nice, more emotion is found here than on most other tracks, but unfortunatly it still suits the album's overall weak atmosphere.

I guess the problem here is mostly that the album doesn"t really go anywhere, and it lacks the emotion, power and perhaps a bit epicness found on other Manowar albums. Just an average album, which is disapointing from Manowar.