BLEARGG!! - 90%

FearTheNome, March 30th, 2004

The word "brutal" gets thrown around too much, I'll admit. Brutal this, brutal that. My band is more brutal then yours, or Rhapsody are the most brutal band to grace this earth, and on and on.

However, this is Brutal. Capital 'B' and all the works.

There are no real standout tracks, exactly, but it's all excellent death/grind. The composition unimaginative, perhaps, but the execution is excellent, and the overall effect of the music is of running at high speed though the depths of hell, dodging demons and tortured people with rearranged body parts, after having one's own limbs rearranged so that one's movement is, while not slowed, changed in a mindbendingly odd manner such that the perception of reality is altered greatly. Head backwards, maybe, with the eyes placed in the belly button.. and one leg and arm switched so that you're running "sideways" so to speak.
That's brutal.

The production is probably what I'd call a bit on the "good" end for this style of the music, with good being used to mean good the way slightly overcooked vegetables are good. Cooking is good, but a little too much and it loses something. This isn't a "bad" thing really, and just a minor gripe.. everything is pretty audible (except for the bass but that's a given) and nothing gets lost in the mix, and there's still some rawness left. Still, it's not really as truly abrasive as their "Intrauterine Cannibalism" album, but clearer. I prefer the grym rawness, but that may just be me.

The drum playing deserves mention, as it's not only quite fast, but blast beats aren't abused. Not to say they're never used, but they're not overused to the point where you want to take away the drummer's beater and make him hit the bass drum with a stick when he must use it to prevent the constant ridiculous overuse of one rather bland beat.
Instead, they're quite varied, and un-boring. Who woulda thought? Good on them, indeed.

Once again, no standouts, but that's not to say it's bland or boring.. it's merely of equal quality from start to finish. The riffing is honestly quite good, and, while perhaps not terribly creative certainly isn't boring. And the EP is only 16-odd minutes anyway, and that's including an interlude on the live album that shows that their vocalist can make sounds resembling speech too, so to get bored in that amount of time you'd have to rather dislike the genre anyway. In that case, there's no real reason to buy it.. and, well. If you don't have the taste to like good music when you hear it smack yourself on the forehead a couple times. Gently, now, I don't wanna get sued.

Overall, a necksnapping good time. Recommended.