Mind Warp Of Tech Death - 100%

optimuszgrime, March 5th, 2008

Ok, so if an octopus smoked crack, played the drums, and also had a bunch of aquatic friends like sharks to learn how to play guitar, what they would play would sound roughly like this. The drumming is so fucking crazy, Roger J. Beaujard is simply the fucking man, no ifs ands or butts. So this band from NY, Malignancy, what can I really say about them that has not been said already? They play tech-death with crazy grind core elements and ridiculous breakdowns. But they do not accept the formula, and they write in their own unique and utterly unmistakable way, and this album is no exception. In fact, I think this one is their best. Not only does it have all the hall marks of a great Malignancy album like intense crazy shredding, sicker than words drumming, pinch harmonics, odd time signature blasting and breakdowns, just pure insanity riffage and weird accentuation, but they also meld it all perfectly together to form a truly strong and digestible version of death/grind. Even though they are so weird and un-orthodox, it is still palatable.

So to take it apart, I like the sound best on this album because it is a little cramped and a little low sounding, which fits really well for what they do. It makes the music sound decaying and dying, which I think works perfectly for death metal. The guitars are kinda clean sounding, actually even with the intense fuzz distortion. The bass is kinda just rumbling and clattering in the background, while the drums are kinda quiet, but all the more intriguing because of their quietness. I always thought they had the perfect sound for Rogers drums, seeing as he is a fucking maniac, and if he is put too loud on an album, he will; devour the rest of the musicians, musically speaking. So they got him quieter then everyone else, but that is okay. It works, and does not lack power!

My favorite tracks are ‘Separated Anxiety’ and ‘Atmosphere of Decay’. The first for having virtually no blasting and still being some of the most technical, chaotic and brutal music ever. The main riff took me like 3 days to learn, but I managed and now I can play it, and do almost every day, once you get it this music just sucks you in. I guess this song is a good representation of Malignancy’s music, in that sense, once you understand it, there is no turning back.

The other song because I feel like it describes the recording perfectly, it has an atmosphere of decay and rot. Also, the intro blasting is so weird and catchy, you just got to love it. Of course there are no mediocre tracks on this album, or any of their albums, and this is just one more good example of why this band rules so much. In my opinion it is their best offering, but still it is a good example of the rest of their work as well.

BLEARGG!! - 90%

FearTheNome, March 30th, 2004

The word "brutal" gets thrown around too much, I'll admit. Brutal this, brutal that. My band is more brutal then yours, or Rhapsody are the most brutal band to grace this earth, and on and on.

However, this is Brutal. Capital 'B' and all the works.

There are no real standout tracks, exactly, but it's all excellent death/grind. The composition unimaginative, perhaps, but the execution is excellent, and the overall effect of the music is of running at high speed though the depths of hell, dodging demons and tortured people with rearranged body parts, after having one's own limbs rearranged so that one's movement is, while not slowed, changed in a mindbendingly odd manner such that the perception of reality is altered greatly. Head backwards, maybe, with the eyes placed in the belly button.. and one leg and arm switched so that you're running "sideways" so to speak.
That's brutal.

The production is probably what I'd call a bit on the "good" end for this style of the music, with good being used to mean good the way slightly overcooked vegetables are good. Cooking is good, but a little too much and it loses something. This isn't a "bad" thing really, and just a minor gripe.. everything is pretty audible (except for the bass but that's a given) and nothing gets lost in the mix, and there's still some rawness left. Still, it's not really as truly abrasive as their "Intrauterine Cannibalism" album, but clearer. I prefer the grym rawness, but that may just be me.

The drum playing deserves mention, as it's not only quite fast, but blast beats aren't abused. Not to say they're never used, but they're not overused to the point where you want to take away the drummer's beater and make him hit the bass drum with a stick when he must use it to prevent the constant ridiculous overuse of one rather bland beat.
Instead, they're quite varied, and un-boring. Who woulda thought? Good on them, indeed.

Once again, no standouts, but that's not to say it's bland or boring.. it's merely of equal quality from start to finish. The riffing is honestly quite good, and, while perhaps not terribly creative certainly isn't boring. And the EP is only 16-odd minutes anyway, and that's including an interlude on the live album that shows that their vocalist can make sounds resembling speech too, so to get bored in that amount of time you'd have to rather dislike the genre anyway. In that case, there's no real reason to buy it.. and, well. If you don't have the taste to like good music when you hear it smack yourself on the forehead a couple times. Gently, now, I don't wanna get sued.

Overall, a necksnapping good time. Recommended.

Skullsplitting sickness from NY - 85%

kd, February 7th, 2004

And here it is, folks... Yet another killer piece of grinding brutal death metal from the sick fucks in Malignancy. Starting off with soundclip of a woman drowning being devoured by a shark, then in the middle of the clip the drums kick in and from there... the madness begins! Malignancy pick up where they left off after 1999's "Intrauterine Cannibalism", the production is a little more polished than Intrauterine's, so you can pretty much hear all the riffs. Roger of Mortician provides this album with some frantically-played blasts, very tight-sounding drums. The riffs are heavy, a lot faster than Intrauterine's were. There's not as much groove found here, but it still manages to be heavy-as-fuck. Danny Nelson's vocals are as sick as ever. Like on the opening track he sounds like a fucking pig drowning in a pool of its own fly-covered diarhhea! The last song is a live "Intrauterine Cannibalism" where vocalist Danny Nelson displays his comedic skills (Danny, you might have a future in comedy!) Very good EP, highly recommended for fans of death intense death metal!