The Most Brutal Album Ever! - 100%

eatenbabysyndrome, January 6th, 2009

I’m serious. This is the most extreme death metal album I’ve ever heard. From super-brutal cover art to the acoustic outro this thing kicks like a bagged fetus-a fresh one.

The songwriting is very chaotic, but totally coherent; going from fast tech death/grind riffs to slow slam riffs in the space of a few seconds, while still sounding like a song. Each riff is played rarely more than four times and almost never repeated and these riffs are the most insane riffs ever. The drumming is insane with crazy fills and shit. There is about 1 pinch harmonic a second (1ph/s), even in the slam riffs. I know a lot of people don’t like the new Malignancy sound with the pinch harmonics but I think they’re the greatest thing since distortion, but if you don’t like pinch harmonics you’re not going to like this album.

I find the new sound to be a huge improvement over the previous albums, (even the Cross Species Mutation EP which is fairly similar stylistically) and I love the old sound. And I think this is due in part to the new drummer, Mike Heller. Their old drummer would have these little rolls or whatever hanging off some of the riffs that didn’t fit giving the music a sloppy feel that it didn’t actually have (see the beginning of “Oral Excrement” on Intrauterine Cannibalism). Plus the production is some of the best I’ve ever heard: guitars, drums and vocals are perfect, plus the bass is audible, but fits with the music and doesn’t sound bad.

All in all this is one of the most brutal, entertaining and inventive death metal album since Effigy of the Forgotten. Get it now!