Malignancy doing what they do best - 80%

MrVJ, September 20th, 2007

"Malignancy has had their hand in the proverbial brutal death metal cookie jar in New York for quite some time, and after hearing their 2003 “Cross Species Transmutation” EP I fell in love. It was some of the most bizarre death metal I've ever heard. Very odd time signatures, thousands of pinch-harmonics placed in odd settings, and very innovative and technical drumming, nice guttural vocals with some talented high screams, and look at those song titles, they are awesome. Now after that EP, I'm sitting here with their latest full-length, “Inhuman Grotesqueries”, and that's an awesome title when you realize what you're getting.

I'd like to pay special attention to the riffs, because they are what make this album. Ron Kachnic (Dirty Brown Eye, Mortician (live)) really blew me away. He's almost making this band out to be Odious Mortem's cousin, especially since both of those bands are on complete opposite sides of the nation. Very technical guitar work with insane pinch-harmonics still placed throughout the album. There's also the slow but grinding riff here and there, which starts to slowly speed up into a full onslaught of brutality, definitely out to keep my interest. However, I can see this kind of stuff to be too “spastic” for some listeners out there, but I've got ADD, so this is right up my alley!

Danny Nelson seems to be the only original member of Malignancy, busting out his low growls when needed, even changing up the timing quite a bit. He's also very good at making sure you have no idea what in the hell he's saying, so that's another plus in my book, for you know this is pure death metal. Mike Heller (Kalopsia) is a very competent death metal drummer, giving out blastbeats like candy on Halloween and some impressive foot-work, keeping it controlled and unleashing his true potential when needed. He also really makes sure to know that there's some groove thrown in there for good measure. Lance Snyder's bass skill almost ranks up there with Ron's, nearly keeping up with his spastic riffs and odd time signatures, making sure that he is in this fight just as much as the other members are.

Songs like “Indigenous Pathogen”, “Neglected Rejection”, “Skeletal Integrity”, “Protagonist Complacence” and “Embryological Teratomas” really brings out what Malignancy has set out to create; intense, brutal and just outright fucking bizarre death metal. I haven't been this entertained by a death metal release since Katalepsy's debut album. “Inhuman Grotesqueries” is definitely a must-buy for any diehard brutal death metal fan, and be sure to look out for more releases from Malignancy."

Originally written for Metal Stomp.com