Absolute mastery of old-school grindcore - 97%

Vintersemestre, May 15th, 2003

From the opening track entitled "Nightstalker", when Corporate Death screeches "SWEAR TO SATAN", you know you're going to be in for a complete and utter metal assault. The great thing about this album, is it is one of the few that never gets old; I can listen to it over and over and still headbang until I'm blind. When it reaches track seven, and "Boston Strangler" starts beating you down, you'll see what I mean about this gem never losing it's grace, the song pounds and pounds, unrelenting until the chorus is etched into your brain.

Believe it or not, certain folk/nursery rhymes influences are evident here (good examples, are track five: "Zodiac", track eight: "Mary Bell"), foreshadowing their quaintly amusing "Macabre Minstrels" side-project. Bands that employ such novel and interesting musical scapes into something as sociopathic as grindcore (and do it well) are few and far between.

The acoustic ballad, "Mary Bell" (track eight) is a good addition to the album in my opinion, though the following track, which is basically the same song without vocals is pointless. They could have amalgamated the two into one song, though I'm sure they have their reasons for not doing so.

Another high-point on this album is "What's That Smell?", a grind attack about Jeffrey Dahmer.

The guitaring here is awesome, bringing to (my) mind Repulsion and DRI, among others. The vocals are among the top ten in the grindcore scene, most definitely. The drumming is equally excellent, and toned just perfectly for what this band succeeds at doing: making excellent grindcore, that never repeats itself or grows tiring. This trio is one of few bands who can do no wrong in my book; no one plays tighter murder metal than these men.

This album, Gloom/Grim Reality and Dahmer would never leave my CD changer if I had one.

High score!