Something went wrong. - 41%

Nightcrawler, February 22nd, 2004

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what went wrong here. This album manages to suck majorly, with some of the most hideously boring songs the band ever did put out, even though it sounds pretty much exactly the same as Theatre of Pain or Too Fast For Love, or even Shout At The Devil at some moments.
And I guess that's the problem, they just ran out of ideas. They recycle old songwriting ideas and concepts, that just come off as too damn forced and boring. Dancing On Glass, Five Years Dead, Sumthin' For Nuthin' (worst song title ever? Quite possibly), and so on, this just doesn't cut it.

But it didn't have to suck this badly, cause it's quite obvious that they hadn't lost the songwriting skills. They still had it in them, and they kick the fact right in your face with the first two songs on here. Wild Side and the title track are classic fucking Mötley Crüe, and some of the best shit they ever did. Especially Wild Side, which is easily in their top 5 material, and with a mean, vicious attitude never before seen in the band. Follow that up with one of their catchiest sex songs, Girls, Girls, Girls, and you got one fuckin' killer opening to this album.
But unfortunately, the quality just doesn't remain. These two killer tracks gave the listener false hopes. Instead of continuing to rock, they give us boring, plodding tune that the world would be better off without.
All of the other songs sound like old classic Crue tunes, only it seems they tried to make the songs as perfect as possible, that the rocking energy that was evident on stuff like Take Me To The Top just vanished.

Also, the sex subject is getting really fucking lame here. Bad Boy Boogie, All In The Name Of... and Sumthin' For Nuthin', oh how I loathe those songs. Aside from the fact that they suck extremely much, I can't read the lyrics without cringing. It's really ridiculous- though it would get even worse on the next album...

There is, though, one more worthwhile song on here, the closing ballad You're All I Need, which is a pretty well done emotional ballad. Home Sweet Home, this is not, but it's not On With The Show either. And then the remaster also has the monstrously awesome live cover of Jailhouse Rock, which owns you in every way possible. Everybody in the whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock! Fuck your stupid sex songs, guys. Elvis knew how to rock, take some advice from him. Or at least look at your own first three albums.

No, I'm sorry to say it, but this just doesn't cut it. Mötley Crüe forgot how to rock, sad but true. Well, either that, or they didn't want to- cause they still had it in them. I'm gonna go listen to Wild Side and the title track over and over and pretend that the other songs don't exist.