Very unique...production harms it a bit... - 89%

Antikrist, September 8th, 2004

Wow. When I heard all the rave reviews about this album I had no idea what to expect, but I certainly did not expect this. This is probably the most unique death or grind album I've heard other than Wormed's "Planisphaerium". What strikes you first off is the contrasting composition of parts of the songs. In many of the songs they quickly switch back between a few seconds of a very melodic riff and a very brutal one. Imagine the ending of Pantera's "I Can't Hide" (around 1:40 - 2:00), but the brutal riffs are far more technical than the heavy riff that finishes off that song. Guitar-wise, we are looking at some great rhythm guitar work here, with a little bit of everything mixed in, from ultra-fast tremolo picking to very interesting acoustics to typical fast death/grind riffs. This band seems to pride themselves on being as original as possible, and presenting very contrasting ideas in each track. The drumming on this album is INSANE! Even an experienced metal listener will have trouble keeping up with it, it's a wild chaotic mix of blasting, cymbals, and all sorts of other original drumlines. Beneath the chaos however, you can see that Tomas Corn has as much timing and precision as any of the great drummers in metal. Vocally, these sound like typical grind vocals to me: deep and guttural just the way a death metaller would like it. Every once in a while some very nice clean vocals are thrown into the mix too. The one thing that takes away from the appeal of the album is that the production is a little bit raw, which does not fit this album at all. It makes it more difficult to hear exactly how good the drumming is as all you can hear unless you really listen well are the cymbals and the snare drum. The recording sounds kind of like it were a live show but with no audience. Nonetheless, this is one of the most interesting things I have heard in a while and if you're looking for a very unique sound with a mix of melody and brutality (and the great drumming) then look no further than this.