Excellent, if not typical - 77%

TikrasTamsusNaktis, May 20th, 2012

Here we have another EP by the Swedish ambient black metal band. This band has certainly become one of my favourites in the entire world of black metal and I have been following the works of Nachtzeit closely. Once I was able to get my hands on this EP I pressed play and expected nothing short of brilliance.

What I got was an excellent EP. The problem with it is that Lustre hasn't changed much at all throughout the entire discography of the band. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Nachtzeit is able to create amazing keyboard focused ambient black metal time and time again. Yet, I still feel as if I would certainly like something new in his music.

The tracks are all named Part 1-4. This is typical of all Lustre music. Part 1 and 3 are the most typical of Lustre and excellent songs that could fit onto any album of his. The typical wonderful floating keyboards are here with excellent melodies as always and the droning buzz saw guitars are in the background and the occasional static shriek is emitted from the wall of sound. Lustre has always created an excellent atmosphere suitable for cold winter nights and even warm summer nights while looking at the stars.

Tracks 2 and 4 are slightly different in terms of Lustre. They are shorter (around 2 minutes in length) and consist of just synth. The final track (Part 4) has a deep dark sounding atmosphere to it, which is relatively different from normal Lustre. Most of the time the keys are higher notes and have a "bouncy" feel to them but this one is slow and drawn out and far more "doomy." This is an excellent closer to the album and leaves the listener with a foreboding sense that something isn't finished. Maybe it's just me though.

Regardless, this is an excellent short little EP from Lustre. Not much has changed since the bands first releases but like I said, that is not a bad thing. I eagerly await the full length album that is due out this year.