Luca, put down the damn synthesizer! - 35%

DL_Alexithymia, October 20th, 2007

I'll admit it -- I went to my local FYE, quite giddy to purchase this album. Giddy to spend my time and money on this album. Who could blame me -- it was Luca Turilli, trying something new, and it had female vocals! Sure, I'd scoff at this idea normally, but this was Luca we were talking about; he couldn't possibly go wrong with the band, right?

Wrong. As promising and enjoyable as his other solo work had been, this really took the cake for the worst album I've heard all year. One of the ways Luca went wrong was in abandoning his guitar. Through the first three tracks, I hoped I would hear something more than cheesy Nightwish-esque minor arpeggios. Sadly, I was never rewarded with anything more than this. No keyboard-driven songs, no relatively interesting synth-riffs. As you could imagine, this made the guitars even sadder to listen to. Although not bad, they pale in comparison to the guitar work in Luca's other solo projects where he, you know, actually plays the instrument he was born to man.

I also mentioned female vocals. I am an advocate of amazing metal female vocalists, and a strong opposition to that of the run-of-the-mill Tarja-clone singers that've been popping up over the past 7 years or so. One thing I do enjoy about this album is the vocals. Myst [her identity hasn't been revealed to the public for whatever reason] is actually a very talented vocalist. It almost reminds me of After Forever when I hear her voice, especially in songs where she shines -- namely "Virus" and "Energy." Sadly, there are some points where she attempts to do some "operatic" stuff -- and it's some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard. Seriously. Listen to the Italian song on the album; you'll know what I mean. It's like early Simone Simons' [Epica] gone even more wrong.

The only song I find relatively interesting would be "Virus," basically, because it's catchy as all hell and the false choir doesn't sound as overused and unnecessary as in other songs. As for everything else, the songwriting falls flat. Pancake flat. The chord progressions are strange and uncomfortable, the melodies just don't go anywhere at all [and not in a prog-rock way], not to mention the lyrics are horridly pathetic... like, 13-year trying to write poetry about dreams and philosophy. ohIt makes me want to bop dear Luca over the head with his own ballpoint pen.

So, I implore you, if you're looking for some work by Mr. Turilli, please, check out his other solo work and Rhapsody. This is by no means any good metal album at all. It is, sadly, a cheesy, trend-ridden unfinished piece of work.