Not their best but a good one - 82%

pablov8, March 10th, 2007

This is Logos first full length album in 12 years and i have to say that, though is not better that "La Industria del Poder" or "Generacion Mutante", is a nice album for all of those who were waiting for some new music from this band.

You can tell by hearing this record that Logos is truly a heavy metal band, leaving behind that thrash metal thing that they had in the first and second album (I like that thing but it´s OK).. I think old fans of Logos could complain about it "Oh! it's not thrashy, it's hard rock now" like all close minded metalheads.. is true that this album is more "hard rocker" than "thrashier" but.. deal with it! it's good anyways!. And you don´t have so many great bands like Logos here in Argentina who can play good metal and kick your ass in the shows.. well, i'll better begin with this cd review.

The CD starts with a 30 seconds intro in "Viaje a la Realidad" that I think is completely useless and I always skip it.. then it begins the actual "Viaje a La Realidad" song, a nice once, good starting heavy riff, not the best of the album.

The rest of the CD has great classic Metal songs that with blow your mind like "Darse Cuenta", "Rescatando lo Perdido","Son Tiempos Violentos" or the track that gives name to the album "Plan Mundial para la Destruccion", this are truly heavy metal songs with great riffs (most of all in "Son Tiempos Violentos", the heaviest song of the record) and awesome solos by Miguel Roldan, and also the fantastic "Lucha por lo que tu Crees" that first starts with a slow acoustic guitar and then blasts your head off.

I'm not a big fan of last song "Ilumina mi Ser", it's a reflex of Christian beliefs by Roldan and Zamarbide, that's something weird,.. the first and last song of the album were the worst of it (without being bad at all).

In some parts of the CD (for example in "Solo una vez mas") you can hear something that I think is a keyboard that sounds like if you were hitting two sticks together, I must say I don't like it at all (not because I don't like keyboardists.. but it just sounds crappy).

This is the first record of bassist Walter Scasso and drummer Marcelo Ponce in Logos and I think they did it well (they didn't stand out as they do it live though), a very good work by ex V8 guitarist Miguel Roldan (who also produce the album) and by singer Alberto Zamarbide (I didn´t like the effect that they put to his voice but is good anyway).

If you like Logos you will like this CD, if you never listened to Logos in your life you may wanna start with "La Industria del Poder" first.

Returning like a glorious phoenix - 90%

Observer, February 14th, 2007

Oh, Logos! The word that in ancient greek pre-Socratic philosophy meant the basic principle of cosmos and many other high and interesting stuff in other religions and epochs, I think this band just had all the potential to remain alive, to come back from the dead and rise from the ashes like the phoenix. So, in essence, Logos returns after some storms and they accomplish and deliver what a glorious work. And considering two of these guys were part of the mythical band V8, it’s almost granted they weren’t going to do something unsatisfying.

When you get this type of album, one that could mean the final nail of the band’s coffin or their beacon to the path of glory, there are a lot of doubts growing deep in your mind. Will they surprise and bring fresh ideas or sounds? Will you be forced to turn off the player and go to watch TV or sleep? Whatever the question is, the final result is that “Plan Mundial para la Destrucción” is something made with the heart and it shines with feeling.

However, these guys play traditional heavy metal with a rough and extremely effective singer. No high-pitched vocals a-la power metal, just a fest of riffs, the occasional solo, a lot of sober use of the guitars, both acoustic and electric (listen “Sólo una vez más” and you will hear an interesting balance between that heaviness and an interesting vocal line), style and effort.

The album comes in an awesome digipack for what are current argentinian standards in terms of metal releases. The logos, track numbers (which look like a countdown timer for a bomb) and other graphical elements received a layer of shinier material during print, thus exalting them. The art is also another high point, with a feeling of desolation that matches the title of the album (Plan Mundial para la Destrucción = Plan for World Destruction) as well as intriguing background art for each song. This art in particular seriously inspires a general sensation of rust and degradation, pretty much what Logos explains and denounces here.

The part where the booklet is stored comes with a nicely written phrase that serves as frame for the lyrics of the songs. It is a message of hope against wars, the decadence of humanity, etc. I’m not going deeper into such philosophical themes or I will never end the review.

“Viaje a la realidad” (Voyage to reality) is the perfect opener for their return. It tells you “We’re back” with its powerful riffing and drumming at the beginning and once Alberto Zamarbide starts singing you know you are ready for this journey through reality.

Some of the songs lack of the usual catchy sing-along choruses. There is a fluid rhythm without so many cuts and overly confusing variations. Lyrics come to help with a very (very) poetic use of the local spanish. Things get really metaphorical at times and that’s something to thank. The lack of insults and swearing gives them a polished and professional feeling. They don’t even need acoustic pieces, they know how to play instruments, thus, the music and the voice both flow unbothered from the beginning to the end.

The album never loses its fast and heavy pace, there is no soft moment. I can’t wait to see a live show because the album just screams for one. Even in the slowest song (“Lucha por lo que tú crees” – Fight for what you believe in), Zamarbide’s voice remains imposing, strong! Almost like someone chanting and encouraging you to push forward.

Things reach its maximum peak at the ninth song, Plan Mundial para la Destrucción. The lyrics (connected with the topics used in the other songs) and the music portray, in a partially poetic way, a pessimist yet hopeful view on today’s consumism, society, globalization and a perverse background game developed to just make everyone kill themselves for nothing but economical benefits or worse, to control things like a master owns a slave. It tells you to be a person, not a puppet with a blank mind.

Yes, using only the typical bass, guitars, drums and some percussion, they managed to build such ambience. It’s also the stand-out track of the album and probably one of the heaviest with “Viaje a la realidad”.

By the way, if “Viaje a la realidad” is the perfect opener, then “Ilumina mi ser” (Illuminate my being) is what someone could ask for the end. It just locks the perfect chain. When you hear Zamarbide’s last words you are left thinking, reasoning a bit what you just heard.

This is practically the most important release of 2006 in Argentina’s metal scene and surely won’t disappoint so I certainly encourage even non-spanish speakers to give this album a chance as it is an excellent addition to any metal collection.