Nothing Overly Spectacular - 70%

Self, June 4th, 2005

Ashes of the Wake is the 3rd release from Metalcore act, Lamb of God and I don’t see what the big deal is. Well, don’t get me wrong, it’s pretty listenable and tolerable, but it’s not something to lose your mind over. Ever since their appearance on MTV, every metal show, website and metalhead couldn’t stop talking about them. Well maybe not all real metalheads, but the ones who just discovered heavy metal for the first time. I wasn’t able to attain Lamb of God’s As the Palace Burns at the time, but I did manage to get their latest album, Ashes of the Wake. After playing this album many times in my CD player, I can honestly say that this is a DECENT release and unfortunately starting to become one of the most overrated albums I’ve heard (that includes KSE’s The End of Heartache).

I can’t help but feel like Lamb of God intentionally borrowed these riffs from the School of Pantera and modernized it with a much cleaner production. Yep, the Pantera influence is definitely there in the riff department. Anyways, there’s nothing on here that I didn’t heard before and sounds to me that Lamb of God are running out of ideas when they were recording this album. But like I said earlier, this is a DECENT release and there are a couple of favorites that I did enjoy when listening to Ashes of the Wake. Songs namely “Laid to Rest”, “The Faded Line”, “Hourglass” and “Omerta” had riffs that were stunning and heavy and had me headbanging in a matter of minutes. The other songs that were pretty okay to listen were the mid-paced “Now You’ve Got Something to Die for”, “Blood of the Scribe”, and the quite thrashy “What I’ve Become”. The remaining songs on the album were just pathetic attempts at diversity which Lamb of God tried and failed at. They added only 1 guitar solo on the album (“One Gun”) which I’ve heard much better from other bands namely CAGE. The instrumental Title track could have been a lot better and “Break You” sounds like a Meshuggah-rip off at one point.

So in conclusion, Lamb of God is a decent band playing decent music and Ashes of the Wake is a decent album. It’s not something that everyone should overly talk and praise about, but I will admit that I did kind of like this album as I continued playing it. No doubt every Lamb of God newbie fanboy (or girl) will get this, but for the True metalheads out there, maybe you should give this album a try.