Spellbound Rocks, but Lacuna Coil’s Sound Has Chan - 88%

EvilSalem_0987, March 20th, 2009

I became a Lacuna Coil fan in 2007 after listening to the song, “My Wings” on last.fm. I immediately wanted to listen to all their songs and buy their albums. Hell, my favorite album from them is Comalies, followed by In A Reverie, Unleashed Memories, and most of their EPs. I thought they were the coolest band on earth…until I heard their fourth studio album, Karmacode. It is not my favorite album and the only song I like on it is “Within Me”. To me, after listening to Karmacode, Lacuna Coil lost their melodic sound, smooth transition, head banging riffs, and passionate drive I once fell in love with when I first listen to their old work.

However, I did not write this review on Karmacode (you can just read the other reviews on that piece of shit). No, I’m writing about Lacuna Coil’s new single “Spellbound”. I love this single!! I love it when the guitar riffs at the beginning, the bass blasting in the background, and the voices of Andrea Ferro and Cristina Scabbia (at least it is better than their voices on Karmacode :) ), and the chorus. Yet, I do have some problems with it.

“Spellbound” sounds similar to all those alternative rock’s or pop- rock’s songs. Even the single sounds similar to Paramore’s songs. That is not all that irritates me about the single. What irritates me the most is the fact that Lacuna Coil’s gothic sound might change into pop-rock music of Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance! Don’t get me wrong, I still love the band and can’t wait for their new album Shadow Life, but I hope my worst fears don’t come true: Lacuna Coil becoming an alternative rock or worst, a pop band. I hope they still keep their originality and separate themselves from the mainstream, pop-rockers.

I do encourage people to listen to Lacuna Coil’s latest single, but don’t be surprised if the song sounds too much like the other “pop” shit on the radio.