The same problems persist - 74%

kluseba, August 3rd, 2011

Krypteria has always been a complicated case for me. Each of the musicians has got a lot of talent. Let's just have a look at their epic tracks, their orchestral arrangements and their conceptual musical releases at the beginning of the band's career. I also had the chance to meet the musicians several times and they are really friendly, honest and creative people. I have seen several live shows of them and the three guys and the beautiful Korean singer really rock like hell.

But the studio records have always been their weak point. The songs are all quite similar. They have simple and mostly modern heavy riffs and boring verses and epic choruses that focus on the skills of singer Cho Ji-In, a little orchestra and a few epic choirs. The choruses try to be catchy and they sometimes are like in "You Killed Me" or "Eyes Of A Stranger" but after a few tracks the concept gets quite boring and the tracks are not gripping enough. There is always a lot of filler material on the band's records and especially the start of this album is rather mellow.

Even some guest musicians can't push the band. "Higher" sounds like any other track on the record even though they have added an additional bass and an additional electric guitar to the track. "Victoria" features guest vocals from the German metal legend Doro Pesch but the song still has no magic and it feels as if the musicians wouldn't play on the highest level they could and produce an ordinary potential single hit. Those songs lack of energy, passion and conviction.

The band really shines when they try out something different. "Thanks for nothing" is easily the heaviest track on the record and maybe in the band's career. It's really an energizing song. I wish they would create more tracks like that. The powerful half-ballad “How Can Something So Good Hurt So Bad” is also a very decent track. The epic and atmospheric conceptual track "The Eye Collector" is filled with male guest vocals, many changes of style and a quotation of the famous "Moonlight Sonata" in the middle of the track. The band really put a lot of time into this track that was inspired by a great book by the German author Sebastian Fitzek.

In the end, the album has once again too many filler tracks to convince me. A few highlights and lots of talent are still worth giving this record a try. You should get the limited edition with two new recordings from two catchy classics of the band plus one good third bonus track that may rate this album up. I really hope that the next release of the band may be shorter, more diversified and especially more focused than this one. Since a few years, the same problems persist on their records and I still don’t see more than small improvements. Right now I still have to see the band live to feel and discover their full passion and talent.