Headhuntah! - 75%

CrystalMountain, May 21st, 2009

Wow, Krokus...I had no idea these guys were even on here. Seems they've been up for a couple years yet they have a grand total of 2 reviews, so I thought I would help try to get the ball rolling and review what is probably their best and most successful album. And I'll tell you what, you may be able to dispute whether or not Krokus were truly "metal" but this album is pretty heavy at times and kicks loads of ass so who cares?. The best way that I can think of to describe this would be Scorpion's Blackout meets early AC/DC, with a pinch of Thin Lizzy and a dash of Priest. Vocalist Marc Storace sounds an awful lot like a more refined version of Bon Scott too.

The first 3 songs are all undeniable hard rock classics. "Headhunter" is simply bad ass, it's definitely got that AC/DC vibe but with a proto speed metal drum beat and some killer vocals. "Eat the Rich" is more of the same, but more rock-ish and just as good damn near, awesome solo in this one. But "Screaming in the Night" is the real gem here. This is one of rock or metals all time great ballads. An eerie intro with some melodic soloing that flows right into the incredible vocals of Marc Storace, this dude could sing. One of the catchiest choruses you'll ever hear. Supposedly the metal god Rob Halford is in this song, but it's really hard to tell.

Some of the other songs are solid as well. "Ready to Burn" is such total AC/DC worship that it borders on laughable, but I still love the song to death, great song to drive to. Despite the atrocious lyrics, "Night Wolf" is a killer song and has some of the best guitar work on the album. But it starts to fade badly after "Night Wolf" though, "Stand and Be Counted" Is half ass decent, but "White Din" is just 2 minutes of noise, and "Russian Winter" is horrible. Not a bad album at all, a lot of fun to party to or drive to, that's what this type of music was made for. Play it loud or don't play it at all.