Mediocrity In The Form Of Krieg. - 40%

Perplexed_Sjel, September 12th, 2007

If mediocrity is your thing, you've come to the right place! Is it just me, or do Krieg forget to pay attention to the music they make? Sono Lo Scherno represents probably the worst of the Krieg albums, in my humble opinion. There's nothing I hate more than songs so short you cannot get a feel for them.

Krieg are masters at that here. Generally speaking songs are just over two minutes on average, which is poor. Before you have the chance to hear the music it's already finished. Each and every song seems to be a random selection of riffs piled on top of a random selection of drum beats over even more random noises! It's absolutely ridiculous. Krieg are the epitome of generic black metal.

It makes no sense that a band, which contains, or has contained members of some very talented black metal bands be this bad. The vocals are atrocious. To me they sound early Mayhem inspired, but vary a lot more. Deep growls are the main order of the day, and not very good growls at that. They're unusual, but that's in a bad way. There is a suggestion that this album is distinctly for fans of raw and hateful black metal, but I disagree.

The music has no direction. It's one aimless riff played over an odd selection of drum tempos, which is perhaps the most annoying part. Aside from the weird production which tends to vary depending on the song. At one stage it can be clean and then it tends to be fairly distorted, which is surprisingly easy to hear despite the furious beating of the pointless drums.

There is the odd moment where Krieg display some talent in terms of songwriting, musicianship and creativity. Some hypnotic slabs on ambience used to good affect when combined with some harsh sections. But generally speaking everything is out of place. Instruments appear to compete with one another, instead of playing in tangent. The vocals appear to be in competition also ... For the most annoying and pointless sound award.

Overall, Krieg have issued their worst album to date in the form of Sono Lo Scherno. I do suggest giving it a chance and if you can look past the amateurish drumming and lack of innovation, then you can obviously see something I am missing. I can vaguely remember enjoying Blackash Snowfall somewhat, but that is truly it.