"Their weapons and their gods are useless..." - 94%

Black_Metal_Bastard, May 5th, 2005

Well here we have the "new" Krieg album, which is not new at all, but the complete version of what featured on the split with Kult ov Azazel. Recorded in 1998, and never released in its complete form until now, this album is a new favorite of mine.

With all of Krieg's works, you are treated to utter savagery and hypnotic blackness. This album is certainly no different. These songs are primitive, ruthless, and unforgiving in their delivery. The bad, but not awful, production only helps this. Tons of atmosphere is just oozing all over this album, from the eerie interludes to the creepy spoken word parts to the harsh black metal itself. This is definately art in its rawest form.

Krieg's music is not for everyone, especially those into pretty keyboard melodies and melodic guitar lines. There is no "pretty" music to be found here, only hateful and raw Black Metal. The drums play some pretty weird tempos and the guitars are usually just fuzzy power chords, but this is not a problem at all. This only makes this album that much better. Already it is weird, but in a good way, this album is something all its own.

Those familiar with the really old Krieg stuff (Black Plague, Rise of the Imperial Hordes, etc.) will find that this is along those lines in terms of sound and musical ability, but this is not a problem. THIS ONLY HELPS TO MAKE THIS ALBUM TRULY SPECIAL.

I myself love Rise... and the Black Plague is something very unique indeed. From the minute I heard these songs on the KoA split I knew I wanted to hear more. I am glad this has finally seen the light of day in its proper form. I hail Imperial and Battle Kommand for releasing this masterpiece of coldness.

"We were death on horseback. They called us the end of the world..."