Oh Jesus !!! - 30%

themastertherion, October 1st, 2006

Obviously this is the most obscure release of King Diamond. This is straight forward, second degree, uninteresting piece of work, even in the lyrical part. The tracks just give the impression that they are only the drafts, not the final outcome that should have been produced. This looks like as if all work was handled by King Diamond and Andy LaRocque themselves, and not a slight input from other members, not even giving a soul to the music as they recorded it. This is lacking all kinds of spices that King Diamond was adding to the meal, and also is the lowest point King has descended in his entire discography. Since The Spider's Lullabye, it was obvious that all was not going very well for him, and House Of God marks the spot where he hits the ground and bounces to the heights once more to make Abigail II. Even those keyboard oriented pretending-to-be-creepy tracks are just plain boring. Definitely not King. I wonder under what circumstances this album was composed and recorded.

The main drawback of this album is the newbie playing of drummer Hebert, which puts all other members in the newly-formed-college-band position. The drums are the most important part of the music, it gives the aggressiveness, the tempo, every other thing metal music needs. But no, Hebert is just hitting and kicking something at the back, with no use to the music.

As I go through the songs once more, it seems as if King and Andy are really all alone in this one, and that other members have alienated from them. This line-up is indeed not suitable for what King has to offer.

The Pact and Help!!! are the best tracks of House Of God, but when it comes to overall King Diamond music in his career, hey, I have been through other King Diamond songs, and who the hell are you deceiving?

If this album didn't have the King Diamond logo on it, it would surely be forgotten in at most a year, and the band would have remained as a local one. I believe King himself approves my opinions, since I have been to a few gigs, and heard none, or one track from this album. The Deadly Lullabies doesn't contain one, too, while there is plenty of old stuff in all their playlists.

15 points for the album and x2 for King's being my all time favorite with those albums in the past, in his solo career, Mercyful Fate, and Black Rose.