Pretty damn good! - 82%

caspian, February 2nd, 2006

I'm sure a lot of people are having doubts right now about KsE. AoJB was absolutely awesome, but TEOH was fairly emo-ish, and the vocals weren't as good etc. This is good proof that KsE are still a kick ass band.

It doesn't start off too promisingly though. Bid Farewell always had a fairly lame intro, and it sounds ten times worse live. Sounds like something Limp Bizkit would do. But after that serious misstep, the live show is a cracker. Howard Jones hasn't mastered the art of talking to the crowd yet, but he has a good stage presence and is a much, much better singer live. His screams are still good, but his clean voice is far better then it was in the studio.

The guitars, bass and drums are all super awesome too. Adam D adds a few cool little extra licks in Breathe Life and a few other songs. For the most part, he's content to run around like Angus Young in dodgy Denim cut offs and a Vampire cloak (WTF Mate?). Joel and Mike for the most part are content to head bang all the time, it's pretty good stuff. Also the drummer, Justin Foley. He sounded fairly generic on the album, but like Howard, he's much, much better live, doing a few cool fills and putting a lot more personality into the drums.

The setlist is definetly worth mentioning, it's really good. Lots of stuff of AoJB, a bit off TEOH and even a song of their debut album. It seems like Howard isn't as enthusiatic with the earlier stuff, but it still all sounds super good. I just wish they'd played Just Barely Breathing.. Oh well. HIghlights of the set would be Temple from the Within, Numbered Days and Take this Oath.

The extras are pretty good too. It's a fairly in-depth history of KsE, complete with some pretty cool old home videos from their early days, their days in Overcast/Aftershock etc. Lots of interviews from band members, former band members, other metalcore bands etc.

So it's a pretty solid dvd, I guess the one whinge I have is that it sounds like the live mix was really, really screwed with in the studio. The guitars and bass are all super chunky, and I have no problem with Adam D adding a bit more chunk and definition, but come on, is the crowd really that loud? Maybe they are just rabid fans. But it's only a minor complaint. I'd say this is a must buy for KsE fans, there's some real good stuff here.

Edit: Dropping it down by ten percent. It's a good DVD, but there are quite a few better ones out there, so, only 82% for this one now.

Edit Edit: Sorry Mr.Mod, forgot to actually drop it by 10%.