Jew Dykes - 77%

caspian, July 26th, 2010

This is pretty cool; this whole big wall-of-sound, vaguely industrial-ish vaguely BM-ish type stuff. I heard a similar band a little while ago called "The Human Quena Orchestra" (not on MA) and remembered thinking that it'd be cool if someone could perhaps utilise a more, I dunno, riff-centric core into the general squall and screams. Well, here it is, sort of, and for the most part it's great.

Strip away the Swans-y atmospheric touches and for the most part you've got some fairly normal one man BM, although it's far too well composed and recorded to ever deserve the dreaded bedroom- prefix. Grinding, simplistic riffs that are like a really harsh mix of maybe the first Animus and later Burzum, a dreary drum machine smashing out elemental beats and real low kicks, with some vicious screams over the top. It's a simple enough formula but it achieves it's purpose; personally I think a few more rhythm-orientated bits would've been nice (that noisy, glitchy breakbreat or whatever it's called in Round is brilliant), perhaps a bit more to engage the heart as opposed to crushing inhumane indifference, you know?

Attention to detail is definitely what lifts this from a one man 'n' audacity experiment to something that's actually rather good. Jute Gyte have clearly spent a lot of time on the production here; nasty and clipped to all hell and while the guitars may well have just been plugged into a sound card and turned up way too loudly the various swathes of noise, the clean, pristine and rather disturbing tones in Interlude and Snail, and those soaring, vaguely Methadrone-ish synth/guitar leads over the really-quite-bummed guitars in Death all fit perfectly and really make this thing great. On that topic, Death is the thing that really makes the album. I think it's just that I'm quite the fag who enjoys soaring, noisy tunes full of vaguely hopeful and redemptive things, but it's just a brilliant 18 minutes of noise, stunning guitar leads, simple and crushing riffs, all arranged in a way that sounds fantastic and gives the album a fitting and really satisfying conclusion. It'd be utterly amazing on drugs...

So, "Old Ways" is really quite good, and if you enjoy distorted, wonky guitars, noise, and a dude screaming at you for an hour or so you should get it.