United/Grinder - 82%

foz45139, July 23rd, 2008

This is one of the three singles to come from Judas Priest's groundbreaking 1980 album 'British Steel'. Although it is perhaps not as well known as 'Breaking The Law' (possibly their most famous and recognisable song of all, partly due to more mainstream exposure and a hilarious video to go with it), it is, in my opinion, just as good. In some ways, better.

'United' is a slow-paced anthem with a catchy and motivational chorus with the lyrics 'United, United, United we stand. United we never shall fall.' It reminds you of the kind of thing fans would chant at a football match. The main riff is similar in style to 'Don't Go' from another album, in that the guitar chugs along in a 'stop-start' fashion and it is heavily driven by the gloriously audible bass, courtesy of Ian Hill. Towards the end of the song, the guitar and bass cut out, leaving Halford singing the chorus over a solid drum beat. It could be criticised by some for not having a guitar solo, but strangely it seems right for once not to have one.

Now then, the other side is much more typical of Judas Priest. 'Grinder' starts off with a fucking tasty riff which WILL make you headbang ... it's beyond your control... The chorus, like most Priest choruses, is infectious and sticks in your head for hours. When you've listened to this single, your brain will be forcing you to sing the choruses to both of these songs all day, which can hardly be a bad thing!

'Grinder' is my personal favourite out of the two, and that's because it is blessed with a truly face-melting guitar solo, making it seem as though Glenn Tipton has 10 fingers on his left hand! Overall, this is a great release with two of Priest's best songs. If you can get your hands on it, don't hesitate!