Two in a row! - 97%

Wra1th1s, May 6th, 2008

Goddamn! Judas Priest sure was/is a force to be reckoned with. Fresh from the absolutely mindblowing Sad Wings of Destiny, Priest comes back with the spectacular Sin After Sin. You know? Nobody ever recommends this album, all people ever do is shove British Steel down your throat. Now that's not a bad record, but it's not the masterpiece it's often claimed to be. Let's analyze this album one by one shall we:

1) For an album recorded in '77, it's sounds pretty damn good. Granted, I have the re-release but eh. Roger Glover (if you don't know him, please die,) should continue producing, he has an ear for metal and this album is light years ahead of Sad Wings and even Stained Class in terms of production. Every instrument is crystal clear without sounding too damn poppy. In fact, it kinda sounds like a Deep Purple record (I wonder why?).

2) Rob Halford is in top form. That opening shriek in "Dissident Aggressor" sends chills down my spine. How the hell did a man produce such a shriek? I wasn't too surprised when I found out he's a fudgepacker. Oh and that "Call for the priest...I'm DYYYYYIIIING!" is the metal equivalent of an orgasmic sigh.

3) The Tipton/Downing axe attack has never been so outrageous. I mean this is only a YEAR after Sad Wings and their playing seems to have improved like hell. The riffs are godlike in this album, I wonder why they don't call this Riff After Riff? The tone that they use in this album is classic 70s, it sounds like Ritchie's tone though slightly heavier.

4) Ian Hill, ladies and gentlemen! You can finally hear the man! I guess Glover, being a fellow bassist, must've felt sorry for Ian and highlighted him in this album. He actually plays some really good basslines, though he mostly follows the guitars.

5) Simon Phillips recorded this when he was only 19! If only he wasn't a session drummer. Ah well, Les could do it just as fine. The drumming is a major step up from what Alan Moore (NOT the writer) was doing in Sad Wings. Just listen to "Let Us Prey/Call for the Priest" and all will be revealed. Seeing as how Glover produced this, the drums aren't too forward and are mixed just right.

The songs themselves are masterpieces: "Sinner," the fantastic cover "Diamonds and Rust," "Let Us Prey/Call for the Priest" and the absolutely amazing "Dissident Aggressor." There's a reason why Slayer covered that last one, though I prefer the original any day. The ballads aren't bad, I like "The Last Rose of Summer" I think it's a great song in the vein of "Epitaph." "Starbreaker" is a nice little number but I'm not too fond of it. The only song I really don't like is "Raw Deal," it just feels like a by-the-numbers metal song.

Get it? Absotively! The re-release has two bonus tracks, "Race for the Devil" and "Jawbreaker(live)." Why that live track isn't on the album with "Jawbreaker" is beyond me. To me, the re-release doesn't give this album the package it deserves. But it's still a great album. If you like ANY type of metal at all, then get this NOW!

EDIT: Changed the score, fixed some tpyos, added some sentences.