Not bad for commercial Priest - 78%

adders11, September 14th, 2009

OK, OK. Point Of Entry IS a step down from British Steel. The predecessor, to me, was one of the best Priest albums- it was heavy yet had a small commercial touch to it, but in a good way. Point Of Entry takes the commercial sound further- unlike British Steel, you can CLEARLY hear it on this album.

Generally in most cases, the more commercial a record is (in metal), the more it will get slated by fans. That's probably the same with Point Of Entry, but it's still unmistakably Priest. Rob Halford's voice is instantly recognizable. Glenn Tipton and KK Downing's guitars here isn't half as impressive as most of their other works (Painkiller is lightyears ahead). The riffs are still in tact, and are still generally memorable, but when compared to the riffs contained in British Steel, they aren't as catchy, heavy or impressive. This also goes with the solos. Then again, most of the songs on here all mid-tempo. With that said however, all the guitar parts are still pretty decent.

The album kicks off with 'Heading Out To The Highway'. This is not an up-tempo opener like the large majority of Priest albums, but it's easily one of the best tracks on here anyway- good riffs, catchy hooks and choruses, great vocals. I think 'Heading Out To The Highway' is one of the strongest points here, and also a highlight of the band's '80's period.

'Don't Go' is not as interesting. The verses are quite heavy but there's something about this song's chorus that reminds of AC/DC. 'Hot Rockin' is often regarded as a highlight, and I agree. 'Turning Circles' is one of the most mainstream numbers on here, and probably one of the worst songs here. The song-writing is still decent however, and it's a good radio-metal song. 'Desert Plains' is also very commercial-sounding, but a great song and also has some of Glenn and KK's best riffs on the album.

'Solar Angels' is another strong point with some nice clear vocals from Halford and a great solo. 'You Say Yes' easily has the most catchy riff and maybe some of Halford's most impressive vocals on the record. 'All The Way' isnt very memorble, but 'Troubleshooter' finally take things a bit heavier and end the album nicely.

There a lot of faults with Point Of Entry. The main reason is just the fact that most of it fails to impress, unlike British Steel, or this albums follow up, Screaming For Vengeance. But, at the same time, for the most part, it still sounds like Judas Priest, and the songs are all decent radio-friendly metal numbers.

I think this is an album that grows on you the more you listen to it. I was very disappointed at first, but then I think British Steel, Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders Of The Faith are all incredibly strong releases. I still think this is worth checking out as it isn't the worst '80's Priest album either.