Kinda plain - 79%

HealthySonicDiet, April 20th, 2004

I keep hearing all these classic metal bands, especially Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, being praised, so when I saw this album for 2 dollars at a pawn shop, I decided to pick it up. Well, I'm not impressed. Sure, they have riffs and balls, but so do 189,398,123 bands out there. I suppose this album isn't the best example of a good Judas Priest album to buy, but I have a feeling that I wouldn't even like the mighty Painkiller. Maybe I will just have to train my brain to appreciate the 'classic' guitar sound and poor production, and I'm willing to do that, but I think it will be awhile, and I can't foresee any NWOBHM/classic metal bands such as Judas Priest gaining the same prestige in my metal collection as artists such as Devil Doll and Pain of Salvation do.

There's a single I remember hearing on the radio from this album all the time, Living After Midnight, but once again it is just kinda 'there' I don't find anything redeeming about it since it probably sounds very similar to a gazillion other songs I've already heard. Also, I'm tired of just hearing 'melodies'. I want to hear something that either has unnatural aggression or progression. I'm sure other people, such as Prog_ Power_ Adam, could empathize with me.Judas Priest, at least on this album, seem to have a "We're gonna party til we drop" attitude that I just don't find too appealing. I can see it right now....two fat unshaven rednecks drinking beer and listening to this album.

I respect the fact that Judas Priest paved the way for many of today's metal bands, but is it totally off-color to suggest that many of the bands inspired by Judas Priest took what they heard from Priest and made it better? Think about it. That's what Metallica did with "Turn the Page". The original by Bob Seger was incredibly lame, but Metallica's cover livened it up a bit. Hetfield extended many of the notes in the song that Seger just deadpanned. I just find modern metal to be much more appealing to me than bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Chalk it up to my youthful age, but that would be faulty, since I know some people(at least one person) my age who love Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.