Solid EP - 86%

TheSomberlain, January 27th, 2006

This is the first Judas Iscariot release with Cryptic Winter on drums, and you can tell from his style of playing. He's not as sloppy as Akhenaten, but I didn't mind the sloppiness as I felt it added to the previous albums. This EP doesn't sound too much like the full length before this as Dethroned, Conquered and Forgotten sounds a bit more aggressive. Akhenaten's riffs are still incredible as always. I've always thought of Akhenaten to be one of, if not the best black metal song writers out there. On the same level as Jon Nodtveidt (Dissection, who seems to have slipt a bit with the 3 post-prison songs I've heard), Wrest (Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice), Varg Vikernes (Burzum, as if you didn't already know what band he's in) and Orlok (Countess), and that is saying a lot.

This EP has 4 new tracks. Of the new material Journey Through Visions of War would be my favorite. It's a bit slower and less aggressive than the others and gives off a Of Great Eternity vibe. The fifth and final track is a Special Blitzkrieg Version of Spill the Blood of the Lamb, which was on the Heaven in Flames masterpiece. This version is faster, shorter and more aggressive than the original. Tough to say which is better as the original fits in with the style of Heaven in Flames and this version fits in with the aggressiveness of the EP. Both fit their releases well.

This is another top notch Judas Iscariot release showing a more aggressive side of the band. If you are new to Akhenaten's brilliance then I would start out with the 6 full-lengths first before getting this, but after getting those albums definitely pick this one up.