Needs every track to be aggressive. - 70%

Symphony_Of_Terror, November 19th, 2004

This is one of those release where you say “this is Judas Iscariot?”. Then you say to yourself “well yes it is, and my how they have changed”. Whenever a band releases an ep its either when they are just starting, or wanting to try something different. On Dethroned, Conquered, and Forgotten, we have the latter. Although Dethroned, Conquered, and Forgotten is quite different from previous works, you can see trademark Judas Iscariot in this ep. What makes this ep so unique and different for the band is the directions it goes in. Akhenaten did all of his previous work for Judas Iscariot it a atmospheric, desolate, and grim style. On Dethroned, Conquered, and Forgotten, we see Akhenaten trying to make the Judas Iscariot sound more aggressive, more raw, more destructive, and faster. Akhenaten succeeds in doing so with out fail.

When first listening to this album expecting some more great Judas Iscariot in vain of its previous releases I was blown away. I did not expect to be blasted by an aggressive raw guitar, pounding drums, and very harsh vocals. The overall sound of this ep is similar to Judas Iscariot’s other works, just faster, more raw, and more aggressive. This ep is filled with very fast raw guitar riffs accompanied by very fast pounding drums. On Benevolent Whore, Dethroned for Eternity you can see some similarities to Krieg (which is no surprise since Akhenaten and Lord Imperial have worked together before). This is the most raw and aggressive track and sounds like something you would get off a Krieg album. Other similar but less powerful moments on this ep occur on Descent to the Abyss. Descent to the Abyss is just like Benevolent Whore, Dethroned for Eternity, except a bit less aggressive and fast. The other interesting and unique aspect of this album is that Akhenaten makes his vocals more strained and harsh (another Krieg influence). On previous works, Akhenaten sang in a deep, slow, and grim voice. Here he screeches out some painful harsh vocals that add to the aggressive and raw feel of the album.

A break in the album occurs on Journey Through Visions of War. This track is not aggressive like the previous two, and sounds most like Thy Dying Light and Of Great Eternity era Judas Iscariot. It is a slow paced song that has plenty of repetition and atmosphere. Akhenaten’s vocals are also a bit less harsh and elongated. After this track the album doesn’t have much left to offer. A slow paced instrumental song that sets a depressing and dark atmosphere. This is a track that would fit well on Thy Dying Light and Of Great Eternity, but seems very out of place here. The final track, Spill The Blood Of The Lamb contains some of the more aggressive elements from the first two song son the ep. Akhenaten’s vocals are once again screeched and harsh and musically it’s a less powerful version of Descent To The Abyss.

For Judas Iscariot this is a bit of a weak attempt even considering that it is an ep. If all the songs kept the aggressive aspects to them this release would have much more power and be overall a better ep. Such is not the case and the ep just feels like Akhenaten wanted to cash in on two great songs, and some other sub par material (I say cash in because this is available through amazon.com). I recommend almost every other Judas Iscariot release before this one. A refreshing thought is that this is by far Judas Iscariots worst work, and its by no means terrible. If this ep were overall more aggressive and powerful it would receive a 9 or higher, alas, it falls short of greatness, or even impressing me.