David Coverdale? - 94%

Rhapsorizon, July 25th, 2006

Holy shit, what a revalation. After hearing Masterplan's "Aeronautics" before listening to this solo effort, I must say this is a massive transformation. I'm yet to hear his other three solo efforts, so I think this will provide less comparison. But I must say this album is most effective after listening to him in Masterplan, simply because of the massive difference in the emotion and freedom in this solo effort.
To start off, one of the most stand-out features of this album is the freedom expressed whilst singing; no restraints, no limits; Singing in various ranges, using different tones and different levels of harshness (which reminded me so much of Whitesnake's David Coverdale that I nearly shat my pants). However, he is most noticeably skilled because he does not try to do something he can not do (there's not much he can't do), even though his ranges are almost limitless.
For the effort as a band, the next most noticeable talent is the opening leads and riffs. One of my favourites still is the opening one-stringer to "Tungur Knivur", launching the epic endeavour of melodious commotion with a memorable riff that sounds like it is going to be a flat minor melody, but turns itself in a natural minor melody that does nothing but please the aural senses, additional to a pleasent wah-washed solo. I don't recall hearing this guitarist anywhere else, but I intend to track down more of his material. Being a guitarist, the solos and riffs that were performed effected me just as much as the vocals. Outstanding.
Production-wise, this album has an interesting array of synths that stunned me at first, but as always, when it comes to outstanding music, it is easily adaptable.
The only let-down (sorry Jorn) about this album is the heavy love-song "Christine" -- Additional to the music not fully meeting the level of the theme, I believe it is a waste of an entire album theme. Think about it: When you think you're travelling through a musical universe of self-revalation, truth and battle, BAM, you get smacked in the face with a cheesified love song. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for love in the industry, but for fucks sake, keep that shit out of these sorts of albums and don't rape my stereo with it. But I suppose the concept of the piece itself is pretty intriguing, and a great effort by all.
Apart from that, this album, I believe, is a must-have by those with an open mind, or those who are a great fan of Jorn.