David Coverdale? - 94%

Rhapsorizon, July 25th, 2006

Holy shit, what a revalation. After hearing Masterplan's "Aeronautics" before listening to this solo effort, I must say this is a massive transformation. I'm yet to hear his other three solo efforts, so I think this will provide less comparison. But I must say this album is most effective after listening to him in Masterplan, simply because of the massive difference in the emotion and freedom in this solo effort.
To start off, one of the most stand-out features of this album is the freedom expressed whilst singing; no restraints, no limits; Singing in various ranges, using different tones and different levels of harshness (which reminded me so much of Whitesnake's David Coverdale that I nearly shat my pants). However, he is most noticeably skilled because he does not try to do something he can not do (there's not much he can't do), even though his ranges are almost limitless.
For the effort as a band, the next most noticeable talent is the opening leads and riffs. One of my favourites still is the opening one-stringer to "Tungur Knivur", launching the epic endeavour of melodious commotion with a memorable riff that sounds like it is going to be a flat minor melody, but turns itself in a natural minor melody that does nothing but please the aural senses, additional to a pleasent wah-washed solo. I don't recall hearing this guitarist anywhere else, but I intend to track down more of his material. Being a guitarist, the solos and riffs that were performed effected me just as much as the vocals. Outstanding.
Production-wise, this album has an interesting array of synths that stunned me at first, but as always, when it comes to outstanding music, it is easily adaptable.
The only let-down (sorry Jorn) about this album is the heavy love-song "Christine" -- Additional to the music not fully meeting the level of the theme, I believe it is a waste of an entire album theme. Think about it: When you think you're travelling through a musical universe of self-revalation, truth and battle, BAM, you get smacked in the face with a cheesified love song. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for love in the industry, but for fucks sake, keep that shit out of these sorts of albums and don't rape my stereo with it. But I suppose the concept of the piece itself is pretty intriguing, and a great effort by all.
Apart from that, this album, I believe, is a must-have by those with an open mind, or those who are a great fan of Jorn.

What a damn good voice - 98%

ShadowsFall63, March 1st, 2005

O no, not Jorn Lande. I understand a few people don’t like this man for whatever reason, but for the life of me I can’t understand why. Well maybe he’s and asshole or something, but I could care less because in my opinion he makes very good music. In case you haven’t guessed this is his solo band (well he doesn’t do all the instruments) and I think this is his best work yet. This album Worldchanger is his second release with the Jorn name, and I must say I enjoy this album quit a bit. For one thing unlike his band Masterplan he actually puts a lot of emotion into each song.

Jorn writes all the songs and does all the vocal work. The vocals in this album are excellent (and are also the main focus of the music). He hits all kinds of different ranges; he can be dark and heavy sometimes and other times be powerful and hit all the high notes no problem. Also doing a suburb job on guitars is Tore Moren (not exactly sure who this guy is but he does a good job anyways).

The main reason this album did not get a perfect 5 is because towards the end it starts to go a little downhill, and also I don’t really care much for the some of the lyrics. I don’t care about how much Jorn likes some girl, or what adventure he wants to go on with someone (cheesy). But other than those two complaints this album is very good. It is a very enjoyable album, really catchy songs and choruses. My favorite song on the album would have to be House Of Cards. This song is maybe a little slower than the rest of the album but I love the way it sounds. It has one of the coolest choruses I have ever heard, and I find myself singing it in my head all the time. Another good song is Bless The Child which is full of anger and hatred and has a bit of a thrash sound to it which is a lot different from the rest of the album. Some other stand out tracks include: Tungur Knivur, Sunset Station, and the title track Worldchanger.

All around a very good album, even better than his newest release Out To Every Nation. Jorn needs to keep his mind on this kind of music, and make sure on his next album he uses Jorn Viggo Lofstad (Pagan’s Mind) a lot more, and maybe gets better at his lyric writing.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com