Classic - 97%

emerson1, November 14th, 2005

I can' t believe I'm the first bloke to write a review for this one. This album is the closest thing to a classic I have had the pleasure to listen for the last decade. Well, Sepultura's Roots or Eternal by Samael were not bad records either, but it's another story altogether.

Here, thick bass guitar roar by Rob Trujillo haunts almost every track and sets the frame of mind for this record. The mood definitely is unstable from morose to stormy as proved by the opening track “Psychotic Break”, which is disturbingly beautiful, if I may say so. It puts you down, but now like some dismembered puppet you just can beg for more. And after that, killer songs don't pour they rain: more quiet things like “Angel Eyes” or “Solitude”, brilliantly keep the moody feeling Jerry has built his reputation around. You also got things like “Mother's Spinning” that is catchy as hell. Damn it's so good. Profalse Idol is huge with its memorable melody (or lack of it, depending on viewpoint). And if you own the double cd (well, if you don't you should) then you' ll have the ending track “31/32”, a poignant country-like tune that remains one of my personal favourites on this album. Here Jerry confides some -I think- autobiographical low-life trailer trash stuffs. Recalling the spirit of the folkesque “Heaven beside You”.

But now I realise my review kinda sucks. So I' m gonna rest my case.