An Unbound Iron Savior - 80%

BotD, January 26th, 2012

I can't really understand people saying this is Iron Savior up to its old tricks again. This to me sounds like a somewhat reinvigorated Iron Savior unshackled from their rather lackluster space epic. Condition Red and Battering Ram were Iron Savior riding their motif into the ground with recycled riffs and melodies. Yes there were some moments of brilliance in them and the songwriting and leads were solid, but if you listened to them after the first three (as I often do) the repetition is obvious and mind-numbing. Thankfully, Megatropolis shows that they actually have some creativity left and can write new riffs and new melodies.

So the album opens up with a riff that does not inspire a lot of confidence sounding like many past riffs but then the song gives hints of Grave Digger's Heart of Darkness and Pete Sielck comes in with great verses and a solid chorus. But if that didn't convince you, Omega Man chimes in and it sounds nothing like the space operas of Iron Savior's past. While the rest of the song is high quality is really the chorus that stands out here. Sielck is great in it, but the credit mostly goes to that amazing under-chorus riff. Then again I really appreciate when a band does more than strum power chords under a chorus.

And the album really continues to pump out the goods with nothing being weak here. Yes, none of it is groundbreaking in the genre, but it is different than the Iron Savior that had become so predictable in the last couple albums. I mean Cybernetic Queen is an Iron Savior ballad that works which I don't think has been true since Break It Up off the first album. Or there is Cyber Hero which is Iron Savior with a side of humor, not something even hinted at before. All that said the final song could have been on any previous Iron Savior album, but even it is of higher quality than their latest material.

To be honest I think a huge part of my fondness for this album is Sielck who really steps it up here with more energy and some great verses to go along with his always superb choruses. He was really scraping the bottom of the bowl in the last couple albums and here he just nails it.

In summary, an Iron Savior no longer tied to some lame space opera opens up with some new themes and some great material.