Disappointment - 60%

yanosh, February 22nd, 2004

Disappointment - this is what I felt when I listened to this single.
I already knew what wildest dreams is but I expected much more from the b-side and the blood brothers mix.

01. Wildest Dreams - easily to weakest track on iron maiden's newest album, dance of death.
In this track Iron Maiden tried to repeat to success of the wicker man single but although I never considered the wicker man a classic and original maiden song, wildest dreams is in no way as good as the wicker man is.
the rhythm is good but the chorus is simply ridiculous.

02. Pass The Jam - not a usual iron maiden song. sounds more like a jam (duh). The true is that this is a very avarage song which holds nothing exciting musically.
There are only a few iron maiden b-sides that are really as good as the album tracks are (That Girl, Doctor Doctor, All In Your Mind) but this one is not among them.

03. Blood Brothers (Orchestral Mix) - Eh? wtf?! At first I wasn't sure if someone took the brave new world version of blood brothers and put it here.
But after I read the other reviews here I understand that this is exactly what they did.
I couldn't find anything different at any position of the song.
If you found something I'd be happy if you let me know where in the song exactly it is.

I give it 60 because this is still Iron Maiden but the way it stands as a single it doesn't even worth 40.
I can only hope that their newly announced EP, No More Lies, will contain more attractive contents. (at least it seems so by the track listing)
If you're ought this cd for the blood brothers don't buy it.
If you're ought this cd for the b-side don't buy it.
and if you're ought this cd for wildest dreams, then you better go and buy the dance of death album.

Worst than expected.. - 65%

grim_reaper, September 4th, 2003

I don't know what these guys had in their mind, releasing this single. "Wildest dreams" is a nice song. A classic maiden song, without any special meaning though, that could pass on the new album simply as a good song. Maiden seem not to care about their whole image and release this track with "Pass the Jam", a track that I don't want to comment. Ok, I know that Maiden on their best years had many b-side tracks that were bad, but they also had some killers and some great covers. Let's return to "wildest dreams". It has a nice melodic part and the whole song is built around the chorus. I wouldn't give any money for this one, "Wickerman" was by faaaaaaaar a better single, with catchy riffs and power inside. The single is dissapointing overall but the album has great songs inside. 80 for wildest dreams and 50 for the jam thing. True...

Dissapointing - 35%

Metal_God, September 1st, 2003

Iron Maiden - the greatest heavy metal band of all time. You can't really argue with that fact. Still sold out arenas around the world, 23 years after their first album. Now it's 2003 and the Dance of Death album is soon being released, but of course there are singles being released. This single I'm going to review is the single that only contains two tracks, "Wildest Dreams" and "Pass the Jam".

Wildest Dreams is the song they played on their 2003 tour. It is in pure Maiden style: Fast and rocky. Wildest Dreams fails though, being too simple. There are no exceptional instrumental efforts or marvelous song writing. The song "lives" on its catchy chorus, which it wont come far with. Maybe you can fool some people with a fine chorus like that, but I think that the rest of the song would have needed something more. This feels more like a simple party rocker, than a memorable Maiden song.

The second track is "Pass the Jam". This song will not be on the full-length album. The only way to get your hands on this "rare" song is to buy a single. On second thoughts, maybe you shouldn't. The song is nothing special at all. It is even worse than WIildest Dreams! Iron Maiden is known (at least by me) to make long epic songs and all of them are very good. Usually they have some kind of depth and really nice song-writing. It feels like they're done with much care. Pass the Jam is 8 minutes long but can't be called an epic song. Not at all. This is just too simple to be this long. It's silly that a song like this should be 8 minutes. What's the deal with that? A simple, poorly written song! The Angel and the Gambler was long (9 minutes) but can't be called an epic song either - but it was pretty cathcy and had a good chorus. "Pass the Jam" hasn't got anything. I hope that they never even thought of placeing this on the real album!

This wasn't at all what I wanted. Two mediocre songs on their single. I certainly hope that "Dance of Death" will be a lot better than this. Otherwise Iron Maiden won't be here for long...

Maiden sucks at singles nowadays - 60%

Anzuhan, August 31st, 2003

This is the new Iron Maiden single, officially released 1.9 and was available in stores 29.8. It contains one track, Wildest Dreams, from the forthcoming album Dance of Death, and two other tracks, Pass The Jam and Blood Brothers (Orchestral Mix).

While Wildest Dreams, the main track of the single, is a basic Maiden-rocker which means that it is all about speed. Pass the Jam is something which reminds me of Liquid Tension Experiment and its annoying, never-ending improvised songs... and Blood Brothers is boring. Who cares about an orchestral mix from a crappy song anyway?

I would recommend this single only to teh trve fans. There's nothing worth seeing here, really. Wildest Dreams is a decent track, hence the 60% rating, so it is not all that bad... but could have been better.