An artifact of more ancient times. - 85%

hells_unicorn, February 5th, 2007

One of the things that I don’t like about the constant barrage of new editions of Maiden material is that they are essentially devaluing older singles such as this one. This of course is in addition to the fact that the latest reissue of “Killers” that I’ve encountered has this song as a bonus track, which ruins the flow of what I believe to be the first true heavy metal concept album. It’s not in any way related lyrically to the story implied in the progression of songs; stop fucking around with history you mindless pencil pushers!!

Anyhow, the song featured on this single is short but quite memorable, containing one of the best vocal performances in studio of Paul Di’anno before his voice got all screwed up. The intro riff is a slower version of the low end minimalist riffs that would be found on several early thrash albums, and the general tempo of the song is quite fast when you consider the time it was recorded in. Likewise we find the most well known song off the Killers LP here to round out the fold in “Wrath Child”, a song that has been butchered vocally on a consistent basis since Di’anno left the band.

This is for the consumption of rabid Maiden fan boys with a fetish for rare collectables. Those who don’t have a similarly rabid appreciation for the history of this band are advised to seek out both these songs on the heretical re-issue that has surfaced here in the states in recent years. I own it, I’m proud of owning it, and it’ll be a cold day in hell before I ever part with it.