Awesome song, amazing B-sides - 89%

thatcoltkid, May 4th, 2007

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is one of Iron Maiden's most acclaimed albums and with good reason. The Evil that Men Do has always been a standard track in my opinion and it makes for a great single with it's catchy feel. The song with an amazing harmony which stands out over virtually any other Iron Maiden song, from that opening few seconds you can tell you got an awesome song ahead.

The verses have a fast gallop throughout them which makes the song very enjoyable and headbangable and the lyrics of them are very though provoking and deep without sounding corner. Then we get to the bridge... and boy what a bridge, I could go on for ages about that bridge. It just alternates between 'Living on a razors edge' and 'Balancing on a ledge' but sounds so uplifting yet at the same time it inforces the negativity viewed in the song. The chorus is a very basic chorus but don't take that as a bad thing, it makes the song a great anthem and an amazing live number. Adrian's solo is one of his best here too.

The Evil That Men Do is definitely a Maiden classic and one of their best songs to date however, the real reason to get this single is because of the B-Sides it contains, 2 remakes of two classics from their debut album with Bruce Dickinson on vocals as apposed to Paul Di'Anno; Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot.

I never really viewed Paul as a bad singer, I felt the songs he did do with Maiden were done spectacularly. However Bruce Dickinson completely outclasses him with these Paul Di'Anno classics, especially in the epic Charlotte the Harlot. Bruce sings these songs with a more aggressive voice, so I guess you can see this as a preview of what was to come in their next album No Prayer for the Dying.

So as the title says, this is an awesome song but the B-Sides are the real reason to buy this thing...