A good Maiden compilation? No fucking way! - 85%

LordBelketraya, June 8th, 2011

We've seen a few "Best Of...", "Greatest Hits", "Somewhere In Time". Essential" compilation Maiden albums throughout the years. Most, if not all, are terrible to ill advised. For an excellent band such as Iron Maiden it's simply not fair to you to just capture everything in their illustrious career on one fucking CD or even two for that matter. Especially anything from 1980 to 1988. Anything from those specific years need to be purchased one CD at a time. One of the times I would highly advised someone getting into Maiden and trying to understand why they are legends should get 'Iron Maiden' all the way up to 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son'.

Now this Best Of... consists of material from 1990 to 2010. Otherwise known as the forgettable decade and the decade of redemption. Basically for anyone who isn't really a Maiden diehard this is a wise and good purchase, because there have been some less than stellar stuff from those 20 years to say the least. This compilation hand picks the good shit from those years. It saves you the money of having to buy 'No Prayer For The Dying', 'X Factor' and 'Virtual XI'. While the Bruce Dickinson comeback albums are all quite good to great it still does a commendable job of selecting the memorable tunes from those releases. One of the few Maiden best of that is enjoyable from start to finish. Great to play in the house, at work or on long drives in your car when you don't feel like clicking through your iPod or changing CDs often. I won't get into the songs because we pretty much know them anyway. No new tracks here. Sadly, the Blaze Bayley songs are sung live with Bruce Dickinson only enhancing the fact that perhaps his time with the band was a mistake. I disagree, I think it's the band's fault for those bad albums not Blaze's. But whatever. This is a good 2 CD best of and I recommend it. Besides, the cover art is fucking killer, as usual.