Di’Anno’s Fire was better. Icarus rules - 70%

morbert, March 1st, 2010

The first single coming from Piece Of Mind was the rather laid back yet heavy ‘Flight of Icarus’. Composed by Dickinson & Smith who had finally discovered how much fun it was for them to compose together. Unlike most of the other songs from the album ‘Flight of Icarus ‘ consisted of simple riffs, vocal lines and had an easy accessible pop song structure. A bad thing? Of course not! With musicians like these in their prime pretty much any song sounded great. And even in the hands of others ‘Flight of Icarus’ would still be a great song because of the catchy main riff and the strong chorus.

However the Montrose cover ‘I’ve Got The Fire’ is a song I often skip. Not because I dislike the tune, but because I prefer the live version with Di’Anno singing. Obviously because Di’Anno had a stronger ‘rock’ voice (suiting this song much better) whereas Bruce was of course very metal. But mostly because of the live rawness. This version is nice, well produced and sung adequately. I just prefer hearing the raw sweaty version.

Collectors Only - 50%

DawnoftheShred, August 26th, 2008

Ah, Maiden’s “Flight of Icarus” picture-disc. Nothing quite says “heavy metal” like the image a winged Eddie torching the nude Greek legend with his flamethrower, eh? However, due to the lack of really exclusive material, this one is really only for those that collect (or big fans of the cover art…).

“Flight of Icarus” is one of the more memorable tracks off of Maiden’s classic Piece of Mind album, a release relatively full of memorable tracks. Sort of a loose adaptation of the Icarus story, it’s nonetheless a strong romp through Maiden’s legendary songwriting and shows the band at a very solid point in their career. Awesome.

The B-side, also known as “the entire reason to even pick up one of these Maiden singles,” is a new studio rendition of the Montrose song “I’ve Got the Fire,” which they’d performed live in the past (it was on the “Sanctuary” EP remember?). This version is better, as Bruce Dickinson mans the vocal duties and the production is album quality. But yeah, it’s still a Montrose song. Remember when they covered “Cross Eyed Mary?” Now that was a song worth covering.

For the Maiden completionist who has everything (well, except for this obviously), it’s another required purchase. But as for us less-than-hardcore fans, we can do without the Montrose cover.