I Shot the Focke - 78%

DawnoftheShred, October 7th, 2008

Never let it be said that I do not admire the tenacity of Iron Maiden. Even when they’re just releasing singles and EP’s, they always smack a kickass pic on the cover. Featuring good ol’ Edward flying a fighter jet, their Aces High single is yet another well-endowed release for collector’s to go gaga over.

Side A is of course the track “Aces High.” One in a long, proud line of Maiden album openers, it’s a NWOBHM classic. Personally I’m more of a “Two Minutes to Midnight” guy when it comes to Powerslave singles (review pending), but you can’t keep a good song down, especially if it was penned by Steve Harris. But you’re not buying this single for “Aces High” (you should already have it); you’re getting it for the B-sides. First up is “King of Twilight,” originally by British psychedelic/progressive/space-rock pioneers Nektar. I’m familiar with the band, but as of right now I’ve never heard the original. Doesn’t matter though, ‘cause the Maiden version rules. Basically the Steve Harris & Nicko McBrain show, it slays that fucking Montrose cover from a few years back. Lastly, there’s a live rendition of “The Number of the Beast.” It’s good, but live versions of that song are not hard to come by.

Great art and great songs, it’s the complete package. Available in picture-disc for those who’d rather look at it than spin it.