Rainbow's Gold saves the day - 65%

morbert, March 1st, 2010

Smith and Dickinson have proved throughout the years they are a more than able composing duo. ‘Flight Of Icarus’ and ‘Moonchild’ anyone? On Powerslave they were responsible for the not brilliant but still extremely good ‘Back In The Village’.

However they also wrote a rather dull rock tune for Maiden standards, called ‘2 Minutes to Midnight’. I must say I really like the pre-chorus and chorus so in fact there’s only the intro riff and verses I can complain about. Nevertheless it’s one of two tracks from Powerslave (the other one being Losfer Words) which I feel do not live up to Maiden standards. I know millions of fans think otherwise and for years this song was actually the only song from Powerslave which they kept playing live but to this day I still consider it ‘that hardrock tune’ on that over all classic heavy metal album.

Anyway, I'm glad to have the Beckett cover ‘Rainbow's Gold’. Just like ‘2 Minutes to Midnight’ it is a rock tune but really so much better. Dickinson truly excels here on the verses, McBrain comes to life on the perfect groove, not to mention the awesome rock riffs which are played to perfection by Maiden’s most famous guitar-tandem.

On the 12 inch version we also have ‘Mission From 'Arry’ which is a 7 minute argument the band had about a fucked up drumsolo, a roadie and obviously ‘some cunt’ who was recording this. It’s actually great to see a band of Maiden’s grandeur having such a sense of humour in sharing these intimate moments with their fans. it’s fun to listen to more than once actually.

And the cover? One of the least interesting ones. The lyrics of ‘2 Minutes to Midnight’ were quite good for Maiden and the cover refers to it, but still it isn’t much fun to look at.