Br00tulity just ain't enough - 50%

GodlessDolphin, January 23rd, 2005

There are lots of things in the world that I dislike and Internal Bleeding has always been one of them. I can remember the buzz about their demos back in the early nineties and I remember being disappointed when they ended up being just another band that sounded like Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse--heavy, yes, but nowhere near interesting or innovative. Alien Breed collects those three demos along with a new track, which displays some attempt at breaking the IB mold, even if it's still not very enjoyable. The new one, "Alien Breed", finds the band infusing more hardcore groove and "finger-sliding technique" into their worn NYDM style. More engaging than paint-by-the-numbers brutal death, to be sure, but as I've said before, HC is not my thing, power grooves often conjuring images of shirtless sweaty guys in small clubs yelling about overcoming things. As for the older demos, the Suffo/Corpse feel runs through all of them--chugging guitar riffs, mono growls, and a slight unpleasant (to me) HC feel that builds a barrier to my enjoyment of this. If you like bands like the California Disgorge, old Cannibal Corpse, Lividity, and Mortal Decay, there's no reason for you not to like the demo material. Anyone else is probably familiar enough with this band to know what to expect.