Insomnium - Above the Weeping World - 98%

VesselofLucifer, April 10th, 2012

Few albums have ever had me saying "I must hear that again" after listening. Insomnium proved to be one of these bands with their 2006 release of Above the Weeping World. The album starts off with a gloomy piece called The Gale and quickly sets the tone for what is to follow. The atmospheric rain in the background of the track further enhances the feeling of woe and the incoming storm of an album. And what a storm it is! Every song has been crafted so brilliantly that you can listen to the album over and over again and still have the same feelings as the first time.

The album is basically flawless. Lyrically, Insomnium has to be the most creative and thought provoking writers of any band I have ever listened to. Each track tells a story and has you questioning what the writer must have gone through to tell such tragic tales. Musically, the band has stayed true to its depressive, but brutal guitar riffs and simple, yet effective drumming. Probably my only problem with the album is the production. The guitars tend to overpower everything, even the vocals, which is a damn shame because the lyrics are so incredible. That being said, even the vocals can be hard to understand at some points.

These flaws are so little compared to the epic album that is Under the Weeping World, and to this day it remains one of my favorite albums of all time and rightly sums up everything the band released prior to this one. My favorite tracks are Mortal Share, Change of Heart, and Last Statement.