Filth, Rot, and Evil - 95%

ShadowSouled, January 18th, 2008

Edmonton, Alberta is really a place for finding quality black and death metal. That city has spawned many hard-hitting acts, such as Axis of Advance and Revenge. Now, a newer band has come to the surface: Insidious Omen play harsh black metal, and are definitively a band that deserves attention.

The two-piece band is quite adept at instrumentation, as becomes obvious withing the first few seconds of the album. The music is mostly mid paced, although a few songs are speedy in places. The riffs are complex, and evoke the same feeling of filth that bands such as Arkhon Infaustus have captured so well, but Insidious Omen adds a personal twist to it. The drumming is standard, although a slight downside is that occasionally it sounds as if the drummer is getting tired. The vocals are screechy and screamy, and often trail off into moans; there is no way to describe them accurately, listen to the album for yourself and you'll know what I mean. The lyrics seem to deal mostly with occultism and Satanism on a theistic basis, although I am not entirely certain if they could be placed in the orthodox subgenre of black metal. Scattered throughout the entirety of the album are sound samples and spoken-word passages, such as the beginning of And once...:" I watched the whole magnificence of the dawn for the last time as if it was the first; Then I said farewell to something, and set out to become what I became." The whole album conveys to the listener the impression of having been blasted by filth, rot and evil, and that such a feeling will not be washed off easily.

Insidious Omen is yet another jewel of an underground scene polluted by generic wannabe satanists in corpsepaint. This is black metal stripped of the trappings and the general stupidity that pervades a genre the second it becomes trendy; It also leaves the listener the impression that he or she has been soiled in some way by hearing this album. This is a soundtrack to humanity's selfdestruction.

Hail the master of loss, and buy this album.