Emperor worship that's not all bad. - 65%

TheTrueHel, July 26th, 2007

If you liked Emperor’s “In the Nightside Eclipse”, I can almost guarantee that you will like this album. In fact I would be willing to bet money on that (assuming you didn’t have a problem with Emperor worship bands that is). To be perfectly honest, if this album was released ten years ago – I would have probably given it a better mark.

For example, the album starts with the song “Excidium” – the intro of which sounds suspiciously like the intro to “Cosmic Keys to My Creations and Times”.

The song structures are what to be expected with keyboard laden melodic black metal, the vocals change back and forth from the high, Dani Filth shrieks to the deeper vocals that Hecate Enthroned sometimes use. As you may have noticed, I’ve mentioned Emperor, Cradle of Filth and Hecate Enthroned which will probably give you a good indication of the general sound of this album. I don’t use these comparisons in a negative way, however, as this release would be a culmination of the “good” points of these bands – I use the word “good” subjectively, perhaps when they were at their “peaks” would be a more fitting description.

The production is clear, yet blurry/soft enough to retain a sense of atmosphere and majesty. I can’t really fault the album in any way – each instrument does its job competently, nothing is over the top or irritating. I think the only thing that really stands out is the use of solos – something lacking in the aforementioned bands.

Overall, this is inoffensive, easy listening, melodic black metal. Since it’s not the most original of releases I won’t give it the most highest of marks – but it does sound as though the band put in effort and genuine spirit into the songs. This is an enjoyable album, not a ground-breaking or original in the slightest – but enjoyable nonetheless.

For fans of: Emperor, Cradle of Filth, Hecate Enthroned, Skyfire etc.