An extremely brutal and fresh debut - 90%

GuardAwakening, September 22nd, 2012

In most cases of finding a band brutal and interesting enough (or both) for your needs within non-commercialized metal in this day and age, you start coming across bands on YouTube that either bear for your interest in one way or just kill off your expectations in another. Ingested is one of those bands I found myself listening to after being discovered one day while on YouTube that stuck in my mind a week later. Catchy riffs, enjoyable vocals, insane drumming - it wasn't long until I got this album for myself and began texting my friends and posting online about how good I found their music to be.

Ingested is a British death metal band and like most in the genre with a one-worded and non-intricate name as such, you'd expect them to be all for being as close to a Cannibal Corpse clone as possible, but that is definitely not the case for these young metallers. You'd be surprised what you'd find in this brutal 9-track opus. If I could describe their musical style, I would say the band is 30% Trigger the Bloodshed, 50% Abominable Putridity, and 20% Despised Icon. In other words, the band includes a fresh death metal helping with a pinch of deathcore over the top of it. Hopefully that description didn't kill your interest in reading this so far.

We all know that deathcore is possibly the most hated and controversial metal genre that has ever existed (and, boy, ain't that truth), but Ingested's deathcore influence is kept to a bare minimum (although prevalent on a track such as "Copremesis") and breakdowns are usually never played out and when they are, you usually don't even notice. The slams that you hear on this album vary from the usual Cephalotripsy-esque, slowed down moments to the Epicardiectomy-reminiscent style of slams where the tempo of the song stays intact while the slam is played. They get kind of clever with their riffs and never think twice on a single moment of not being absolutely badass.

The real spotlight here is definitely on the drummer. Lyn Jeffs is an absolute madman. If you were a fan of Annotation of an Autopsy's II: The Reign of Darkness album because of Jeff's outstanding skinswork...well, he has an even more insane performance here. Jeffs plays at such a speed that you even have yourself worried at times if the guy is gonna hurt himself playing at the rate he does, but alas at other times you find his credibility of loving a good blast beat, even over the band's slams, a tad annoying and eventually you'll be wanting him to slow down (and not because of worry of injury, either).

As if that isn't enough, the drums are mastered much higher than every other instrument on the album, so when his crazy blasts come they drown out the guitar work in some sections, leaving the band's guitarists to shame, so with that said you can leave your hopes of even hearing a note from the bassist to rest. Kind of a bummer being that the guitar work on this release is actually better than average most of the time.

As for vocals, Jason Evans possesses a range greater than most extreme metal vocalists you've heard. Over the main course of the album, he prefers a deep, full-throated Dying Fetus-esque guttural, but at other times he takes use of a Job for a Cowboy roaring growl and a The Black Dahlia Murder shriek. The guttural is definitely more abundant than his other ranges, but at other times (especially by the album's climax) he begins to combine different gurgles and growls, giving it a fresh and unexpected sound. In fact, I would encourage more vocalists to take inspiration from Evans instead of just using the same two or three vocal styles throughout their entire album.

As for lyrics, they're the typical brutal death metal theme, putting emphasis on being the nastiest of the nasty and bearing stories of rape, murder, necrophilia, and more rape. They're even more graphic than Annotations of an Autopsy's first full-length. Think in the realm of Devourment's Molesting the Decapitated album except the lyrical theme for this album contains more of a concept than the usual of brutal death metal lyrics, which is keeping a minor story from track to track.

My bottom line is the record is fresh, not too long, extremely brutal, and a very fun listen. My only complaints (as stated above) is the somewhat poor track mastering and how the drumming in some cases gets a tad overwhelming with its ultra-fast playing style. I would certainly recommend this debut to fans of Thy Art Is Murder, Whoretopsy, Abominable Putridity, Awaiting the Autopsy, Disfiguring the Goddess, and Trigger the Bloodshed. Let's just hope by years to come, Jeffs doesn't find himself with a bad case of carpal tunnel.