Killer Metal - 90%

OptimusCrime, May 15th, 2011

I first heard about these guys when I saw them on tour last year and was blown away by their performance. It was like I stepped back in time 20 years and was watching Slayer back when Kerry King still had hair. Not to compare their sound with Slayer though, these guys are much different. After their set I immediately headed over to their merch table and picked up copies of each of their cd's, both of which have a permanent homes in my cd changer.

A Symphony Of Suffering combines the old school death metal vibe of bands like Morbid Angel with black metal keys, but with not as much of a presence as, say, bands like Emperor and Dimmu Borgir. Being a fan of both genres, I naturally got into it quickly.

The album starts off with a slow but powerful intro that builds into the first brutal track, Embodiment of Sin, which is one of the best tracks on the album in my opinion. The next song, Sleeping God, starts off even heavier but leads way to a pretty moody solo section where the guitars, keys, and bass switch off on the melody underneath the solo. The next two tracks, Oracle of Armageddon and March of Death, are where the album seems to get blacker, and then the album finisher A.I.D.S seems to basically be a straight forward death metal track, bringing all concepts of the genre to blend effortlessly together.

Although a short album, what it lacks in length, it makes up for in heaviness. I'm looking forward to hearing much more from these guys in the future, and if they ever play anywhere near you I'd strongly recommend you get out to see them.