a ridiculous album - 100%

bulletsafeinside, February 4th, 2009

The first time I listened this whole album through, I went and sat in a parking lot in my car with my ipod plugged in and my stereo all the way up. It blew my mind. The shrieky vocals take all of two seconds to get used to. On top of this, there are growled low male vocals and clean vocals (male and female). The guitars were very adequate, often playing in beautiful harmonies to add to the texture of the composition.

William didn't think that he had heard any guitar solos, but there are several, and I noticed one on Wotan's Return as I was reading his review. And it was a ripping solo. This band is a bunch of true musicians. I can only guess that they are classically trained, because the music utilizes elements that classical training would make much more available.

As for the electronic sounds used, they add very much to the atmosphere of the album. It's very tasteful and at times (the middle of Wotan's Return especially) seem to separate my brain into two sections, as there are pulses with different frequencies happening as well as all sorts of other wonderful stuff.

The opening track, Yearning the Seeds of a New Dimension, starts out right off with some really creepy sounding electronic stuff. Heart of the Ages is a great track, definitely epic and worthy of the album title as well. This is followed by In The Woods, which is definitely the heaviest and most straight black metal song on the album. Thrashy and incredible. Mourning the Death of Aase is a great 3 and a half minute track featuring a repeated motif by a female vocalist. Then Wotan's Return, the longest track takes you on a 15 minute journey, followed by a keyboard composition, Pigeon, and then the epic closer Divinity of Wisdom.

Great album, A+