BLAAAGGGGHHH!!!!!!! - 75%

corviderrant, July 7th, 2009

The title of this review is a very rough approximation of what this (thankfully brief) album sounds like, total blasting annihilating death fucking metal madness. What, you need more details? OK, I'll try.

I said this is thankfully brief since if it had been any longer, human flesh and muscle and bone would not have been able to withstand the utter insanity this offers from start to finish. You want catchy songs and melodies? Hah, look elsewhere, man. This is blasting mayhem and unapologetically so. While the songs do tend to run together into one long blastfest, hence the less than perfect review, there is a time and place for this sort of thing in my listening habits. Shyaithan and his newest crew of maniacs really deliver with conviction on this album and even though the mix is a blur of sound, it only enhances the intensity of "Terroreign" in the long run as it tears its way through everything in its path with no pity, remorse, or fear, and it will not stop until you (or all the posers in town) are DEAD. That appropriation of Michael Biehn's classic "Terminator" speech is totally appropriate to sum this up, too.

After the usual ambient intro, "Vientos de Holocausto" blasts forth in a totally overwhelming wave of destructive force, and right away I heard something that endears this album to me quite a bit; the guitar playing. The lead guitarist on this album is something I've been hoping and wanting to hear for years and years, and it finally seems to have happened, that being the ultimate unholy crossbreeding of Yngwie Malmsteen and Jeff Hannemann to utterly lethal end. This guy SHREDS in a manner reminiscent of those two, and I admire his immense prowess that he does not hesitate to unleash at every opportunity. Fortunately, Impiety do slow it down enough to reveal a sense of dynamics, as "Atomic Angel Assault" displays with its almost Venom/UK punk sounding verse riffs that of course dissolve into the expected manic blasting. The title track displays more of this dichotomy and it works well, with its old school thrash/death style alongside the blasting. Impiety know how to work it to most deadly effect, and do so well throughout.

Really, as I said, this is not something you listen to when you want to relax or if you want melody and subtlety. Those two things do not exist in Impiety's world, to say the least. This is something you want to toss into the CD player when you've had the worst day ever and want to listen to something that reminds you of how much you want to kill people at that moment, or for that matter, if you want to terrorize your neighbors at your lease-breaking party! Keep this firmly in mind and you will get along with this album just fine, not that it cares a whit about such niceties as getting along with others. Don't come crying to me when it guts you and tramples you into the ground to die in its wake, though!