A Bittersweet Gorefeast - 78%

Mortuary_Mosh, May 16th, 2008

Cali-goremongers Impaled have finally crawled out of the fetid sewers of studio inactivity with their new release, “The Last Gasp”. With this new release comes a host of new elements which Impaled have added to their musical formula. It seems that Sean and Ross’ time in Ghoul (no secret there, correct?) has allowed various amounts of musical approaches by taken their covert band to bleed into Impaled. For example, “The Last Gasp” bears tons of not-so-inconspicuous thrash riffing and shouted gang vocals, a path not previously explored by Impaled. While listening to this album, one may even forget that it’s Impaled at all and begin to belch along with verses from Splatterthrash.

This is not to say, however, that this release is bad. In fact, it’s not bad at all. I’ve yet to find one “bad” release from Impaled. However, a little variety would be nice. Ghoul began as band which sounded nearly identical to Impaled and now it seems that Impaled is becoming a band that sounds like Ghoul. It would seem that McGrath had created such a mammoth of extreme metal talent with Ghoul that he cannot contain the beast anymore and now it’s sinking its rancid (I say that in the best way possible) fangs into his other band, which has been active for around four years longer! Also, I don’t know about everyone else, but I consider “Mondo Medicale” to be Impaled’s opus magnum. That album can absolutely slake any metalheads thirst; if you have a thirst for aggression, morbid melody, and gore that is! I can’t help but feel that Impaled is slowly but surely losing all of these fantastic elements. Well…except for the gore concept.

But I digress.

All in all, “The Last Gasp” is sure to get you to bang your fuckin head, tank a brew or two, and disembowel that bitch down the street, but if you’re a seasoned fan of both Impaled and Ghoul, it’s nothing that you haven’t heard before. For that, I give this release a 78/100.

Actually, the above statement could’ve been the entire review.

Crap…