Gory And Fun - 95%

Rottrephile, March 28th, 2003

What people first say about this album is that it has a brutal sound to it. Well yeah, but Impaled isn't so much a brutal death metal band as it is a death/grind band in the vein of Carcass (no duh). Either way, it works out nicely despite the fact that the guitars don't sound as perfect as on Mondo Medicale, but I digress...

At this point in time Leon del Muerte was with Impaled and his mid-range vocal presence is much more adapted to the brutal sound that this album offers. Granted, Ross Sewage's vocal presence is minimal, with the reins being held by Sean McGrath (high vocals) and Leon del Muerte for about 90% of the album. Despite this lack of Ross's low guttural vocals, the songs fucking rip. Similar in style to Heartwork-era Carcass, the cd is flooded with a healthy balance of melody and aggression (in that the only time melody is present is during one of the wicked solos). Raul Varela's drumming is pretty good, although not altogether innovative for a death/grind band, and he remains one of my favorite drum idols...even though the drums are garbled at times in this album due to the production...

As for the songs, they range from beauty and love that only a man can share with a woman (Torn from the tomb for your lustful desire ;My fouled viscera are what you admire ;An unholy union on a funeral pyre ;A caseated carcass really lights your fire) to the simplicity of innocence that follows delightful children (Your skivvies besmirched with foetid mung ;Liquid viscous, peanut dotted dung ;Your rectum protrudes from its now swollen rim ;Your diapers are filled to the brim) to the virtue of religion (Bowing to the porcelain god ;Plunge my face in the steaming mess ;Bobbing for stinky turds ;Septic waters filled with cess). To all the Black Metal and Melodic Swedish fuckwads start taking notes. The lyrics are very serious (obviously) and I am certain as you are reading this, they are eating intestines. Also, have you heard of that new thing called Sarcasm?

Sure, some of the riffs could have been written by Carcass, but so fucking what, they sound good and they are damn catchy. Check out the mosh riff in the middle of Trocar (at about 2:03). It owns you and you will mosh. My favorite singular riff of the whole album. Back To The Grave is also another personal favorite, with each of its portions kicking ass and forcing you to bang your head as if up from the dead.

When it is all said and done, this cd fucking rocks, with no real weak songs on here. Get it.