Fucking amazing - 100%

mpazzkikr23, March 7th, 2003

Holy shit, this is a great album. Easily one of my favorites. Everything here is just great: the whole tri-vocals concept, the crushing guitar riffs...everything.

The album gets off to a good start with "The Hippocritic Oath." This little instrumental number starts with an eerie piano playing. This leads into a spoken part, which concludes with a harsh GROWL and two really cool guitar solos.

The Hippocratic Oath jumps right into "Dead Inside," another great song. This is where we get the first taste of Impaled's vocalists. Sean is the high-pitched singer (who sounds almost identical to Jeff Walker of Carcass, I might add...), Andrew is the growling one in the middle, and Ross is the deep, guttural one. Each of them shines in this song (and on the rest of the CD, of course).

Next up is "Raise the Stakes." This song starts off with a catchy little riff that leads right into a nice solo played by Andrew. Then Sean's vocals kick in, and it just goes from there. Everything about this song is just great.

"Operating Theatre" starts off with a nice drum intro followed by a cool guitar riff and Ross's deep growls. The rest of the song is also very good.

We move right into "Choke on It," one of the highlights of the album. This song features some of Ross's deepest vocals and a catchy as hell chorus.

"We Belong Dead," my personal favorite on the album, starts off with another spoken intro, then Andrew's vocals kick in and the song explodes into a crazy mix of excellent vocals, excellent riffs...excellent everything. The chorus is also very fucking catchy and fun to sing along to, and to top it all off, there are 6 guitar solos in this song. 6! A must-listen.

Next, we're treated to a lovely intro to the song "The Worms Crawl In." (listen to it, you'll see what I mean...) This song is also very good.

"To Die For" is next, and once again, we've got an excellent song to listen to. This song starts off with a cool drum intro and a nice, deep scream efore leading into Ross's guttural moans and some great riffage. Great stuff.

"Rest in Faeces" is the longest song on the album, clocking in at nearly 8 minutes (well, the actual song is only about 6 minutes; there's some dialogue at the end), and it is a masterpiece. Great drums, awesome riffs, awesome solos. Y'know, the usual...

Finally, the album comes to an end with "Carpe Mortem." This is a nice little instrumental and it ends the album on a good note. A perfect end to a perfect album.

Well, there you have it. If you are a fan of Carcass or medical-themed death metal, this CD belongs in your collection. Some say that Impaled is just a rip-off of Carcass. That may be so, but hey...its good fucking music. Who cares what or who they sound like, as long as its good. Am I right?

*cricket chirps*